´Under God´ in Pledge ruled unconstitutional

[b]

'Under God' in Pledge ruled unconstitutional

About time.

I'm surprised, I couldn't find any threads about this already.

I think it's a great step. I wonder if the appeals court's decision can/will be overridden?

Read here

unclehobart

Probably will be ... based upon that it didnt specify any given religion. It was an atheist based lawsuit and they may have to take it to the Supreme Court based upon 'any' religion arguments.

as it was written

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag,
and to the Republic for which it Stands;
One Nation, Indivisible,
With Liberty & Justice for All.

no god needed. no united states of america needed. patriots knew what they meant :biker:

Jeslek

Banned
This is bullshit. :grumpy: The government is messing with something they should have no authority over. Here is the the Pledge, the only Pledge, and no bullshit.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

I Pledge Allegiance - I Promise to be faithful and true (Promise my loyalty)

to the flag - to the emblem that stands for and represents

of the United States - all 50 states, each of them individual, and individually represented on the flag

of America - yet formed into a UNION of one Nation.

and to the Republic - And I also pledge my loyalty to the Government that is itself a Republic, a form of government where the PEOPLE are sovereign,

for which it stands, - this government also being represented by the Flag to which I promise loyalty.

one Nation under God, - These 50 individual states are united as a single Republic under the Divine providence of God, "our most powerful resource" (according to the words of President Eisenhower)

Indivisible, - and can not be separated. (This part of the original version of the pledge was written just 50 years after the beginning of the Civil War and demonstrates the unity sought in the years after that divisive period in our history)

with Liberty - The people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue "life, liberty, and happiness",

and Justice - And each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly, and according to proper law and principle,

for All. - And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other criteria. Just as the flag represents 50 individual states that can not be divided or separated, this Nation represents millions of people who can not be separated or divided.

:usa:

Jeslek

Banned
oh and

20026266402689267147735.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
At least give Red Skelton credit for his hommage to the pledge.

It is over 150(?) years old. The addendum "of the United States of America" was added around 1895. Then congress stuck it's nose in it in 1954 to add "Under God", which in turn makes an affirmation of a deity, subsequently violating the 1st amendment.

It is not a trick. It is not anti-American. It is a violation of one of our most sacred rights, granted by a very religious set of men who founded our country. GOD ALMIGHTY has it right...the original text. Let's say it as it was written. Or, every time it's said, change the deity of the day.

G

i like the pledge just the way it is. if somebody don't like doing the pledge then they can get the fuck out of the country. nuff said.

unclehobart

It was applied into it in or about the same time as the state flags went racist retro during the McCarthy era. I dislike 'under god' because it was placed in ex post facto. That definitely shows a motive behind its existence.

HomeLAN

This is a pile of useless, steaming horseshit. We have nothing more important to focus on then one dipshit who gets his giggles suing over semantics?

I saw this loser on GMA this morning. He sued because he was afraid his daughter would have to listen to the pledge. That's right - not say it, just listen to it. He also sued Bush over the fact that there was a christian prayer in his inaugural ceremonies and is preparing to sue over the words "In God We Trust" on US currency. Sounds like a real brain-trust.

Hey, I'm agnostic with atheist leanings, and this really impresses me as somone with waaaayyyy too much time on his hands.

I suppose I should be grateful, though. I was having a hard time getting out of bed, and it's tough to stay sleepy when you're yelling obscenities at the TV set.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by s4
i like the pledge just the way it is. if somebody don't like doing the pledge then they can get the fuck out of the country. nuff said.

I like it the way it was before the fascists got ahold of it. If you don't like the court's decision, then you can get the fuck out of the country.

freako104

the reason i agree wiht the decision is because of the first amendment which suprises me that people werent using it as an argument. "Gov't shall make no law establishing religion." now i know its all up to interpertation but wouldnt that mean that all religions shall be respected not jsut the monotheistic ones.or to be less general, christianity., theres something i wanted to tell you. you say its about time? its been like this for a while. in the 50's kids had to pray in schools. thats been taken out of schools. also just so you know everyone on here noone said you had to stand up for the pledge. if you dont like the way its worded dotn stand up for it.i know that sounds contraictory to my last statement, but its a fact. you never had to stand up for it.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by LastLegionary
one Nation under God, - These 50 individual states are united as a single Republic under the Divine providence of God, "our most powerful resource" (according to the words of President Eisenhower)

I don't believe in Providence or God, yet I'm just as much a patriot as anyone on this board, if not better. Inserting "under God" was a slap in the face to our Founders, and a direct contravention of the Constitution.

for All. - And these principles afforded to EVERY AMERICAN, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, or any other criteria.

I am an atheist. I have every right to be an atheist, and the government has no business telling me that there is a god, and that this nation is somehow under that god.

G

Originally posted by Ardsgaine
Originally posted by s4

I like it the way it was before the fascists got ahold of it. If you don't like the court's decision, then you can get the fuck out of the country.

pms? :eek: :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm with s4 on this one. When did prayer get banned in school? Around late 70's if I remember right. What has happened to the youth of this nation since the late 70's. They have turned into disrespectful, materialistic, violent heathans.

Ok, I know alot of you will say that is their parents fault. Well, ok some of it is, however, some parents are not the best at what they do, so the school system where they spend the Majority of their time should step in and do some moral raising too.

To take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance is just another strike against our whole country.

ris

disclaimer: i know very little about the pledge of allegiance, constitution etc. please excuse my ignorance if my q is therfore stooopid.

q: isn't one of the founding principles of the us supposed to be the seperate church and state? in which case the mention of god in the pledge of allegiance is surely against that prinicples?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Originally posted by PuterTutor
I'm with s4 on this one. When did prayer get banned in school? Around late 70's if I remember right. What has happened to the youth of this nation since the late 70's. They have turned into disrespectful, materialistic, violent heathans.

WHOA THERE NELLY. Don't even go there. What else began happening in the 70's? Oh yea, BOTH PARENTS left the home to work full time. We began allowing our 11 year olds to come home to empty houses. They, in turn, discovered a freedom never before attained by children. Too much too soon. If you want to see this country return to it's Truman days, put a parent home to watch over their children & all this will come to an abrupt stop. If you want prayer, after school until supper seems okay with me. Let us quit worshipping the almighty dollar & return to worshipping the deity of your choice. Your children with inprove with the act.

As far as "if you don't like it, leave". Piss off. We are a nation of freedom chasers until our little slice of heaven gets stepped on, then it's monotheism or die. Fuck off. You want to believe, it's your choice. I fail to believe, it's my CHOICE. Do not force an atheist, or a buddahist, or an Islamist to pray to your god.

G

what would it hurt if an atheist had to say "Under God"? since they don't believe in the first place, it shouldn't have any meaning to them at all. maybe the term atheist is really just a clever disguse for Satan worshipper? the pledge has been said the same way for nearly 50 years according to what i read. it's only because some liberal has a hair up their ass that they want it changed now.

i suppose the next thing you are going to tell me is that we have to elect a black president next time to be fair to give a colored a chance so only blacks are eligible to be elected next time to fill a quota. how would you like to have black presidents for the next 200 years to be fair to everyone? since most of congress is white, then i guess we need to elect an all black congress to go along with it.

since gays aren't getting their fair share of adoptions from now on gays get preferential treatment in the adoption line to make up for them being slighted.

get off of it man, this political correctness and affirmative action shit needs to be put to an end. leave the fucking pledge aloneand try to have some morality in the country. that's whats wrong with this country is that people are fucked in the head

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Originally posted by ris
q: isn't one of the founding principles of the us supposed to be the seperate church and state? in which case the mention of god in the pledge of allegiance is surely against that prinicples?

Our country was founded with the idea that the government could not force us to be any one religon.

We were being forced to believe the way the government wanted us to believe, and we told them no, we will believe what we want.

nalani

I have to say, I completely agree with HomeLAN on this one ... there are so many other worth-our-time stuff going on out there and it pisses me off that this guy is getting the attention, time, and energy pretty much from the entire nation ...

Hawai'i is up in arms over this .. it's riphreakingdiculous ... well, I shouldn't say all of Hawai'i ... the schools that are culture-based (like the one I work for and with) and the Hawaiian Language Immersion Schools don't do the Pledge of Allegience but that has nothing to do with a belief or disbelief in God. Most other public and private schools begin their day with the pledge and according to the news, plan to continue doing so.

Hey HomeLAN ... I think we outta sue the currency dudes for having "In God We Trust" on money ... how bout it? We'll split the money then sue again cause they gave us money with "In God We Trust" ... we'll create a viscious cycle! MUUHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!