173 People Killed in Madrid Explosions

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Mar 11, 9:48 AM (ET)

By MAR ROMAN

(AP) Rescue workers cover up bodies alongside a bomb-damaged passenger train, following a number of...
Full Image

MADRID, Spain (AP) - Ten terrorist bombs tore through trains and stations along a commuter line at the height of Madrid's morning rush hour Thursday, killing 173 people and wounding at least 600 before this weekend's general elections. Officials blamed Basque separatists for the worst terror attack in Spanish history.

"This is mass murder," said a somber Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar following an emergency cabinet meeting, vowing to hunt down the attackers.

The explosives used in the blasts were a type of dynamite that the ETA Basque separatist group normally uses, the Interior Ministry said following tests.

SPAIN_EXPLOSION.sff_XPW102_20040311092842.jpg

myway

chcr

Too cute for words
We tend to focus on the islamic extremists (they're the ones after us after all) and forget there are other terrorists in the world.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
terrorists of all inclinations should be hung until the birds finish dining

MrBishop

The ETA just stated a truce a few short weeks ago. I guess that one hand doesn't know what the others are doing.

Just as I'm getting ready to spend 3 weeks in Basque country too :(

Bloody Hell!!

Professur

regretting your mtl terrorist thread, are we? There's a reason you're not supposed to name evil.

freako104

chcr said:
We tend to focus on the islamic extremists (they're the ones after us after all) and forget there are other terrorists in the world.

which scares me to some extent. Id rather go after all the terrorists but finding them would be difficult. as far as punishments I like the hot oil one. that or let them all on some god forsaken planet and let them deal with each other. they wont be near us.

MrBishop

freako104 said:
which scares me to some extent. Id rather go after all the terrorists but finding them would be difficult. as far as punishments I like the hot oil one. that or let them all on some god forsaken planet and let them deal with each other. they wont be near us.

That'd probably make them happy though... aren't "we" their main issue?

MrBishop

freako104 said:
who cares? they wont bother us. so why not do that?

The problem is that you can't get rid of them fast enough. They spread like maggots over rotting social infrastructures. Despite all the evidence that terrorism doesn't help achieve goals...there will always be someone(s) who are reeady to drop off a mail-bomb at the local post-office, or drive up to an embassy and press a little red-button

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'll split the end result with Prof if he allows.

Destroy the old & educate the young.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Spanish officials are investigating conflicting clues following 10 bombings in Madrid that killed at least 190 people and injured more than 1,200.

AFAIK, no one has claimed responsability for it, something that eta always do. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
MADRID, Spain - A series of bombs hidden in backpacks exploded in quick succession Thursday, blowing apart four commuter trains and killing at least 192 people and wounding more than 1,400. Spain at first blamed Basque separatists but a shadowy group claimed responsibility in the name of al-Qaida for the worst terrorist attack in Spanish history.

Mare

MrBishop said:
The ETA just stated a truce a few short weeks ago. I guess that one hand doesn't know what the others are doing.

Just as I'm getting ready to spend 3 weeks in Basque country too :(

Bloody Hell!!

Bish, I thought you said you were going...And then I saw this...Sure your still up for it...

MrBishop

Mare said:
Bish, I thought you said you were going...And then I saw this...Sure your still up for it...

It's nothing really new to Spain, who have their own group of terrorists (much like Ireland's IRA) blowing things up. They're called the ETA and are Basque seperatists. The Basque country is North-West Spain and Southern France. They have their own language and their own ideals.

We aren't going to be going to Madrid though...but spending a few days in Barcelona and the majority of our time...in Pamplona, Litzartza, San Sebastian and Navarra.

Get this...they're all in Basque territory. :) My wife's father is Basque and so are the people that we'll be staying with while we're there.

It should be fine, and although I would show no mercy to the terrorists if caught, I doubt that we'd be in any danger while in Basque territory. The majority of the terrorist activities are in mid and southern Spain...fairly far from where we'll be.

Walking aorund with a Spanish woman, her Basque family and with my little Canadian Flag on my backpack, will serve as a very effective shield. :)

Quick aside - The al qu'aida group mentioned that this was revenge for sending Spanish soldiers into Iraq. Mind you, al'quaida is from Afghanistan. Hmmm....also, most of the Spanish soldiers sent to Iraq died when their plane (returning home) was blown out of the sky. You'd think that this was revenge enough.

ris

media sources are claiming eta have denied undertaking the attacks. there were arrests of eta members carrying explosives a few weeks ago on the same trains and also inconsistencies with 'usual' eta practices - giving warnings, taking responsibility etc.

bbc more

Ms Ann Thrope

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000085&sid=agnRpwHkCn4M&refer=europe

ETA told the Basque newspaper Gara today that it didn't plant the bombs, Agence France-Presse reported.

There hasn't been any ``reliable'' evidence presented to indicate that Islamic militants linked to al-Qaeda were behind the attacks, Acebes said. U.K. government officials told their Spanish counterparts they had doubts about the authenticity of a letter sent to an Arabic-language newspaper claiming the attack in the name of a group linked to al-Qaeda, he said.

Acebes said that the detonators used in the 10 bombs, which were concealed in backpacks and went off on four different trains, matched detonators found in a stolen van yesterday. The van also had a cassette tape in Arabic with teachings from the Koran, a discovery that fueled suspicions Islamic militants had a role in the attack.