2009 in photos

catocom

I like that surfer pic, w/that big wave.
I could look at big wave pics like that, that have a frame of ref/person...
all day.:thumbup:

MrBishop

The white phosphorus bombs?

I was impressed by 2-3. The compassion of the protester for his oppressor. That says something.

Timing... most photograghy is all about timing. Either you can take a few moments to plan a picture or a few days to make sure the lighting is right etc... but crisp, clean spontaneous pictures without pre-planning..impressive.

There's no way the photographer knew it was coming.. the focus, framing, light etc..is well done. It's more than a fluke then.

valkyrie

Timing... most photograghy is all about timing. Either you can take a few moments to plan a picture or a few days to make sure the lighting is right etc... but crisp, clean spontaneous pictures without pre-planning..impressive.

There's no way the photographer knew it was coming.. the focus, framing, light etc..is well done. It's more than a fluke then.
I think that's the true mark of a professional photographer. Good equipment doesn't hurt either.

MrBishop

I've gotten my share of top-tier photos before...but they're often needles in the warehouse-of-haystacks kinda things. Good equipment helps, of course.

There's a story from my college that touches on the difference between professional and amateur. In 1976, The American Pavillion for the 1967 Montreal World Fair caught fire and burned spectacularly...becomming totally engulfed in flames for several minutes and looking like a stationary ball of fire. Across the river, no more than 3kms away and with an unobstructed view, the photo-class was walking through the library with their cameras in hand and loaded. 40 students, 40 cameras, 880 potential shots.

Not one single picture was taken by the students. The teacher finished off two rolls before it was done. It's the teacher's favorite story to explain about how a photographer always has to be ready.
BEFORE:
2203158230_605ffa5959_o.png

800px-Biosphere_montreal.JPG

This is what the pavillion looks like now. It used to be covered with some fabric.

valkyrie

Checking out the "before" picture. I think I know where Gary Larson got his idea for the women he drew in his Far Side comics. :lol:

spike

I had this beautiful pic I took once during the anti-Iraq war protests where some riot police happened around a corner a a mother and an approximately 6 year old girl. It was framed perfectly, the little girl's and the mom's fear was evident.

Don't know if I can recover that one.

valkyrie

I had this beautiful pic I took once during the anti-Iraq war protests where some riot police happened around a corner a a mother and an approximately 6 year old girl. It was framed perfectly, the little girl's and the mom's fear was evident.

Don't know if I can recover that one.
I'd love to see it if you can find it.