2010 Olympics

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
As of right now all events at the track are indefinitely on hold (at least that's the last I heard). Apparently it's the fastest track in the world and athletes have been saying for some time that it might actually be TOO fast. Unfortunately something like this had to happen in order to open some peoples eyes. I don't know what they're going to do, the next closest track is in Calgary, over 1000km away.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I just heard they've increase wall height at the curve (how that is going to help who knows, other than to keep people ON the track when they're being banged around) and changed the ice profile in that area. The track is one again open for business.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I saw the video....it was horrible. However, accidents are part of speed related events. Intentionally slowing the track isn't the answer.

Also, hey Canada, try an arrow next time.

MrBishop

I just heard they've increase wall height at the curve (how that is going to help who knows, other than to keep people ON the track when they're being banged around) and changed the ice profile in that area. The track is one again open for business.

They also shortened the track by making all athletes start from the women's line..so they're going slower on the last curve. Increasing the wall height will help quite a bit...keeping people on the track even upon rollover beats being flung from the track. On several of the upper turns, they've got catch-nets set up for people who fly off..the last curve with it's proximity to the judges etc..doesn't have a catch-net because there's no room for one.

valkyrie

No, I don't plan to watch but I did see a little bit at dinner last night. The Thai-Vietnamese restaurant we went to has several large TV's on the walls and we saw a few events between conversations.

I had heard about the Georgian. Very tragic.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
They also shortened the track by making all athletes start from the women's line..so they're going slower on the last curve. Increasing the wall height will help quite a bit...keeping people on the track even upon rollover beats being flung from the track. On several of the upper turns, they've got catch-nets set up for people who fly off..the last curve with it's proximity to the judges etc..doesn't have a catch-net because there's no room for one.

Actually, the men started from the woman's start and the women started from the junior start. Whether or not any juniors will ever see the track, and where they will start if they do, hasn't yet been determined.

MrBishop

Play with the balls enough and you may experience some swelling. ;)

The closing ceremony felt like being on acid..given, it was all tongue-in-cheek, but mounties, beavers and floating moose??!

MrBishop

I'm happy to hear that the Parolympics are getting FAR greater coverage this year than in any other year that it's happened. Last time, they got a total of 2hrs coverage for the whole thing..I believe they're getting about 2hrs/day now.

valkyrie

I'm happy to hear that the Parolympics are getting FAR greater coverage this year than in any other year that it's happened. Last time, they got a total of 2hrs coverage for the whole thing..I believe they're getting about 2hrs/day now.
The what?

MrBishop

The what?

Sorry..misspelled. Paralympics
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__GuCjTNl21A/SkJPPv2hQRI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/ZGg4l6DtCyI/s400/bernadette+peters.jpg

Sledge Hockey
Paralympichockey.gif

valkyrie

Oh! OK... never heard of it before. (Thanks for fixing the typo.)

But what does Bernadette Peters have to do with it? :confused: