3 Piece Speakers - Suggestions Please

Aunty Em

OK, my problem is that I have a 3 speaker Cambridge Soundworks system with the controls on the back of the sub-woofer. As this is situated under my office desk against the wall it makes it a real pain to reach when you want to turn it off. I like the quality of the sound most of the time but I am getting some feedback from the subwoofer from time to time possibly due to the proximity of the power cables.

I need good quality speakers with the controls on one of the satillites or on a seperate control box. I've looked at Genius and Nisis but am not sure that the sound quality will be good enough. I have an SB Live! Player 5.1 card and will be upgrading to an Audigy 2 soon so I want to get the best quality possible.

Does anyone have experience with these systems or can you make some recommendations at reasonable prices, i.e. not 1000s of $. :)

Aunty Em

Actually forgeddit.

I've rearranged all my speakers and peripherals and been rerouting cables so that I can get to the subwoofer more easily. Damn that base is good, I really miss it when it's not there. :D ;)

Maybe I shoulda dusted under there though. :(

Think I'll check out some round cables and a new heatsink, and some silent fans instead, see if I can get my cpu temp down further and reduce the background noise further so it doesn't interfer with recording. :)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
cambridge have nice mid-class sound :D (i own two sets of 3 speakers each)

A friend says Altec Lansig makes very nice speakers sets and cheap, quality is on par with cambridge ones.

Aunty Em

Luis G said:
cambridge have nice mid-class sound :D (i own two sets of 3 speakers each)

A friend says Altec Lansig makes very nice speakers sets and cheap, quality is on par with cambridge ones.

I bought them when I didn't have much money, the SW310s with the arch shaped woofer, and was pleasantly surprised. Actually it sounds better than my micro system in the living-room. I had a quick look at the Altecs too, but I tend to think "fairly cheap can't be much good" but maybe I'll give them another look. ;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
maybe you could go to one of those stores you hate so much, and listen to the Altec by yourself ;)

btw, i did read you 2nd post, but i decided to make my suggestion anyway

Aunty Em

Yeah, I'll have to see if I can find one locally, but the assistants are usually pretty dumb as a rule. :) We only have one REAL computer shop and they don't really have anything I want to buy.