42 inches...

chcr

Too cute for words
LCD. Sylvania (built by Funai). 1080p (no programming available, of course). Dual HDMI. Thank goodness the cable place was opened yesterday so I could get the box. Christmas came early at my house. Needless to say the Mac has not been set up yet. :evilgrin:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Now you can upgrade to a Blu-Ray/HD DVD & get (UP TO) 1080P. That's this years selling point.

chcr

Too cute for words
Now you can upgrade to a Blu-Ray/HD DVD & get (UP TO) 1080P. That's this years selling point.

Yep. Eventually at least some of the programming will catch up. Dara has been risisting the change to HD, now she understands why I wanted it. :D

Inkara1

I have the DirecTV HD package... my 32-inch Westinghouse LCD only supports up to 1080i, so the fact DirecTV only goes up to 1080i is just fine by me for right now. It's a pretty sweet picture. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
I have the DirecTV HD package... my 32-inch Westinghouse LCD only supports up to 1080i, so the fact DirecTV only goes up to 1080i is just fine by me for right now. It's a pretty sweet picture. :D

Popular wisdom holds that 720p is better than 1080i for sports events. I can't say from experience but I have mine set at 720p right now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Would it hold that 1080P would be better yet? Or is there some other reasoning?

Inkara1

1080p pwns all... the most dots, progressive-scan instead of interlaced... I might have to try 720p and see if that makes a difference. It would make sense that a non-interlaced signal for sports motion would be better... I'll have to try that. I'ts the p vs. i that makes the difference.

Altron

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't P have twice the frame rate as I, since it takes two cycles to refresh an interlaced screen, versus one for progressive scan?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I projects half the screen per cycle, interlacing it with the old image-which was the other half.

Progressive project the entire image, continually.

chcr

Too cute for words
I projects half the screen per cycle, interlacing it with the old image-which was the other half.

Progressive project the entire image, continually.

Yeppers, which is why it's better for live action. Can't get HDMI working so I'm on component at 480p right now. Still beats reg'lar TV all hollow.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I hate you. On the other hand, the wife got a 'rain check' for the HDTV she told me about on Wednesday. :p

Professur

Guy ... reality check. It's a fucking picture. If you want super high definition ... look out the fucking window instead.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Popular wisdom holds that 720p is better than 1080i for sports events. I can't say from experience but I have mine set at 720p right now.

Would it hold that 1080P would be better yet? Or is there some other reasoning?

1080p pwns all... the most dots, progressive-scan instead of interlaced... I might have to try 720p and see if that makes a difference. It would make sense that a non-interlaced signal for sports motion would be better... I'll have to try that. I'ts the p vs. i that makes the difference.

Since LCDs display images in a progressive way (i.e. all the screen is refreshed at once) they need to do some extra work on interlaced signals (i.e. half the lines are refreshed each time) so you can not see the interlaced stuff. This can lead to blurring, ghost images or in the worst scenario to trail lines. This is most noticeable when panning really quick, something very usual in sports events, therefore it is better to use 720p for sports than 1080i.

Progressive is better than interlaced and the bigger the number the better the resolution. Therefore 1080p > 1080i and for fast motion 720p > 1080i.

Edit: I found pictures that show screenshots of interlaced video:
http://www.matthiasm.com/pal4.html
http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/Interlcaed.jpg