A little help

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Volenteers only.

I have to come up with 5 3 course meals, that are heart healthy.

using

a healthy salt (which we make)

a healthy oil (which we make)

a health sweetner (which we make)

and if there are any sauces I have to put some extras in them (probiotics enzymes, omega-3 etc.)

So nothing that depends on olive oil for flavour, and nothing that needs sugar to carimalize. Heart healthy, so little to no cheese, no heavy creams.

I am thinking a pasta with a pesto (with the healthy oil) a baked chicken breast. a Braised SOMETHING Deserts we have a vegan, helathy pudding, I might turn into a pie.

any ideas from the cooks out there? Regional receipes greatly appreciated.

tonksy

Re: A little helo

Your sweetener. Is is aspartame? What the root ingredient? For scientific purposes.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

Your sweetener. Is is aspartame? What the root ingredient? For scientific purposes.

no aspartame

We manufactor it

Erythritol, which can be found naturally in fruits and vegatables

Tagatose, from whey protien

and inulin, a fiber from the chicory root.
0 calorie

0 carb

:D

tonksy

no aspartame

We manufactor it

Erythritol, which can be found naturally in fruits and vegatables

Tagatose, from whey protien

and inulin, a fiber from the chicory root.
0 calorie

0 carb

:D

So it's crystalline and you use roughly the same amount of it as sugar?
You could do a cobbler with fresh fruits and berries for antioxidants or maybe a trifle.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

So it's crystalline and you use roughly the same amount of it as sugar?
You could do a cobbler with fresh fruits and berries for antioxidants or maybe a trifle.

It resembles icing sugar more that crystalized sugar (though we are working on it) and you use it the same amount of sugar, (unless baking, in which case it absorbs more liquide, so you add a bit more wet ingreidients)

Cobbler should work, the other ingreintends will brown.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

So I guess my lasagna is right out.

Well....

home made noodles, whole wheat (or gluten free, and some sprouted flax powder for Omega-3) Home made tomato sauce, low fat mozza, mixed half and half with soy cheese. Lotsa wet stuff to but fibre powder in, with probiotics enzymes vitamin-d b vitamins, folic acid.

It's a matter of with all those changes making it still taste good.

I can make anythign healthy, taste good, not so much.

tonksy

It resembles icing sugar more that crystalized sugar (though we are working on it) and you use it the same amount of sugar, (unless baking, in which case it absorbs more liquide, so you add a bit more wet ingreidients)

Cobbler should work, the other ingreintends will brown.

Is it suspended in a starch?

tonksy

So when you add water it gets thick? Cobbler may not be a good idea. Perhaps a cream cheese frosting? On a carrot cake? There are many recipes that replace the oil in such cakes with applesauce or even baby food carrots.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

So when you add water it gets thick? Cobbler may not be a good idea. Perhaps a cream cheese frosting? On a carrot cake? There are many recipes that replace the oil in such cakes with applesauce or even baby food carrots.

it doesn't thicken it disappears, totally soluable. And the oil, we have covered, it's a halthy oil, it actually helps REDUCE cholesterol. So I don't need to replace oil.

The idea is a graham keer approach, make it healthy without any major taste differences, as well as not needing a Ph.D. to put it together.

BeardofPants

Also, risotto using brown rice, using something like mushrooms, which create a natural creaminess without having to add cheese.

tonksy

Huh...I am intigued by the sugar. Does it taste...earthy? Like turbinado?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

Huh...I am intigued by the sugar. Does it taste...earthy? Like turbinado?

no, it is not sugar, it is a sweetener, it has no taste per say, just a sweetness.

the other 2 things one the line are direct repolacements, salt for salt

oil for oil, the sweetener measures like sugar, but it is defintaly not sugar.

I am teaching a healthy cooking classin Feb, with the oil I am gonna freak them out and deep fry.

BeardofPants

Also, I have this kickass recipe for coleslaw somewheres. Using lime & oil instead of mayo...

Lime & Peanut Coleslaw Recipe
Leave out the jalapeno if you like it milder. I also thought about adding shredded, baked tortilla chips (like the ones from the tortilla soup recipe). Also, I've mentioned this before - I try to seek out organic peanuts.

1 1/2 cups unsalted raw peanuts
1/2 of a medium-large cabbage
1 basket of tiny cherry tomatoes, washed and quartered
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
3/4 cup cilantro, chopped

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon + fine-grain sea salt

In a skillet or oven (350F) roast the peanuts for 5 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice along the way, until golden and toasted.

Cut the cabbage into two quarters and cut out the core. Using a knife shred each quarter into whisper thin slices. The key here is bite-sized and thin. If any pieces look like they might be awkwardly long, cut those in half. Combine the cabbage, tomatoes, jalapeno (opt), and cilantro in a bowl.

In a separate bowl combine the lime juice, olive oil, salt. Add to the cabbage mixture and gently stir to combine. Just before serving fold in the peanuts (add them too earl and they lose some of their crunch). Taste and adjust the flavor with more salt if needed.

Serves 6 as a side.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/lime-peanut-coleslaw-recipe.html

BeardofPants

Unfried chicken:

Makes 6 servings.
3 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp ground red pepper (I used chili powder)
2 cups 1.5 percent buttermilk (can sub with fat-free yogurt)
12 chicken pieces (6 breast halves, 6 thighs), skinless
Butter-flavored cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic salt, and red pepper. Pour buttermilk into a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken in buttermilk, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken, meaty side up, in a large baking pan. Generously coat chicken pieces with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until done. Check internal cooking temperature of chicken with a meat thermometer until breasts reach 170°F and thighs reach 180°F.

http://sweetnicks.com/weblog/2008/08/unfried-chicken/

I dunno. I have LOTS of healthy food recipes. Any of these sort of in the right direction?

tonksy

no, it is not sugar, it is a sweetener, it has no taste per say, just a sweetness.

the other 2 things one the line are direct repolacements, salt for salt

oil for oil, the sweetener measures like sugar, but it is defintaly not sugar.

I am teaching a healthy cooking classin Feb, with the oil I am gonna freak them out and deep fry.

You'll forgive me, I am a big "no weird chemicals" person so our alternative sweeteners are turbinado, agave syrup, or occasionally stevia extract.
How processed is this sweetener?