Low fat cornbread:

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 eggs, beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, chopped (optional)

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2 In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3 Stir in yogurt and eggs. If using stir in corn and jalapeno peppers.
4 Pour into 8 inch square pan sprayed with cooking spray (or use a cast iron skillet).
5 Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
6 Best served warm.

http://www.recipezaar.com/87115

This cornbread works GREAT in a panzanella salad. http://ourkitchensink.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/life-of-leisure/

BeardofPants

Re: A little helo

Brussels sprouts pasta:

Pasta with Hashed Brussels Sprouts and Pine Nuts
Adapted from Gourmet, November 2007

¾ lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
3 Tbsp. pine nuts
½ lb. dried pasta, preferably fettuccine or another long noodle (sub with wholemeal)
2 Tbsp. olive oil (sub with your healthy oil)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (sub with above)
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. heavy cream (not required, but can use fat-free yogurt if you require creaminess)
Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving (not required)

In a food processor fitted with the slicing disk, slice the Brussels sprouts into a fine hash. Set aside.

Place a large pot of salted water over high heat.

While the water is heating, prepare the pine nuts. Place a large heavy skillet over medium heat. When the pan is warm, add the pine nuts and, shaking the pan frequently, toast until golden and fragrant. (Careful: they burn easily.) Transfer to a bowl or small plate, and set aside. Set the pan aside as well, but do not wash it: you’ll use it again in a minute.

When the water boils, add the pasta and cook until al dente.

While the pasta cooks, prepare the Brussels sprouts. Return the skillet to the stove, and place over medium-high heat. You want it to get quite hot. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter has melted – it’s okay if it browns a little; mine did – add the Brussels sprouts and salt. Sauté, stirring frequently, until bright green and just tender, about 4 minutes.

If the pasta is ready at this point, drain it, reserving ¼ cup cooking water, and add it to the skillet with the cooked Brussels sprouts. Alternatively, if the pasta is not yet ready, transfer the sprouts to a large bowl. (You don’t want them to sit in the hot pan too long.) Either way, when the pasta is ready, toss it with the sprouts. Add the pine nuts and cream, and toss again. If the pasta seems a bit dry, add a splash or two of the cooking water.

Serve immediately, with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and additional salt at the table.

Yield: 4 servings

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/11/refilled-and-refueled.html

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

You'll forgive me, I am a big "no weird chemicals" person so our alternative sweeteners are turbinado, agave syrup, or occasionally stevia extract.
How processed is this sweetener?

We are the biggest manufactorer of stevia in Canada.

It is all natural sources.

still better than splenda, they take sugar, and subsitiute a chlorine molecule.

2minkey

bootlicker

erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is supposed to not have the potentially lousy effects of other sugar alcohols, which generally can cause digestive issues. you'll probably see more packaged food companies using it over the next few years.

inulin is a fructooligosaccharide that functions as a prebiotic, which means that it goes undigested by humans but the flora in your digestive tract just love to eat that shit up. so combining with a probiotic would be a fabulous synergy.

i dunno if you have it up there yet but kefir cheese with a dash of olive oil and sea salt on pita would be nice. or i guess just yogurt would be cool too.

as to the healthy cooking, though, well... on sunday i made a meal that included short rib meat in its own rendered fat. confit de boeuf? so i'm not really a source of "healthy" recipes!

2minkey

bootlicker

and by the way if you're thinking of using rapeseed oil (AKA canola) - it has an okay omega 6:3 ratio but flax oil is way better, and this is especially important considering that we get far more 6s than 3s in general. and while olive oil doesn't fly for omegas, it has other good things about it. still real "healthy."

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

I much prefer my things to be all natural. I'll stick to natural cane sugar and sea salt. Oil I try to stay away from over all but do use a small amount of almond oil at times.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

Since you can deep fry with your fancy schmancy oil though why don't you do some sweat potato fries? YUM!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member

I just use ground up flax seeds in things...I don't mind them at all.

BlurOfSerenity

hmm, i'll have to think more about this. i've been trying to make vegan choices lately, so i've been eating all kinds of weird stuff... a lot of it's delicious, i'm pleased to find.

the other night i made a seitan (wheat gluten) dish, in which i cooked the seitan with strips of bell peppers, onion, garlic, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, and mixed in a bottled sweet and sour sauce. served it over brown rice. it was AMAZING. do you think, if you made the sauce with your healthy things, (the salt and the sweetner, i'd think, would both be useful), that that might work? the dish was full of vegetables and protein and no cholesterol and very little fat. mmmmm!

and by the way if you're thinking of using rapeseed oil (AKA canola) - it has an okay omega 6:3 ratio but flax oil is way better, and this is especially important considering that we get far more 6s than 3s in general. and while olive oil doesn't fly for omegas, it has other good things about it. still real "healthy."

does anyone know what happens if you try to cook with flax oil? all i ever read/hear is "flax oil is great for you, but OMG DONT COOK WITH IT."... never do they say why!

A.B.Normal

does anyone know what happens if you try to cook with flax oil? all i ever read/hear is "flax oil is great for you, but OMG DONT COOK WITH IT."... never do they say why!

Don't use flax oil for cooking. Oils high in essential fatty acids are not good for cooking. In fact, heat can turn these healthy fats into harmful ones. Add flax oil to foods after cooking and just before serving.

Cooking with flax oil is NOT RECOMMENDED because these EFAs will break down very rapidly into various toxic compounds including "free radicals", thus turning a good oil BAD!

:cool:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

inulin is a fructooligosaccharide that functions as a prebiotic, which means that it goes undigested by humans but the flora in your digestive tract just love to eat that shit up. so combining with a probiotic would be a fabulous synergy.

We did that already, and we use it for other things, using it's properties of inceasing absortion of things.

2minkey

bootlicker

yup flax is best raw. but if you're going nutzo healthy, raw is pretty righteous, dude. (and most raw foodists are pretty fucking nutzo.)