A well written amazon.com book review.

Professur

Beck uses this book to openly criticize progressive taxation, public education, social security, and "the progressive agenda." But readers should know something - Thomas Paine was one of the earliest advocates of progressive taxation, even drawing up tables and rates.

He was also the first proponent of the estate tax. And in Agrarian Justice he proposed a democratic ideal to combat poverty and income inequality by taxing the wealthy to give jobs and "grants" to young people. He also proposed using this system to provide government-sponsored pensions for the elderly. Historians cite Paine's Agrarian Justice as the earliest call for a national old-age pension - ie. Social Security. He wanted to tax the rich and give money to the poor.

He joined Thomas Jefferson in strongly advocating universal tax-supported public education, believing it was necessary to promote an educated electorate and was a necessary way to combat poverty. Paine also sought a federally guaranteed minimum wage, and long before Woodrow Wilson, Paine urged the establishment of, and US participation in, global organizations to help solve international problems and avoid wars.

The fact that the US constitution pretty well forbids all of that notwithstanding.

Professur

The point was beck claims he was inspired by paine to write the book..

I think this is gonna have to move to the real world.

He may well have been inspired by Paine. Just not positively inspired. Not having read the book, or much about Paine, I leave discussing the validity of that point to those who have.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Then, are you sure the review is accurate?

Oh, I did buy this one. I was curious what he had to say in relation to the original

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I never said accurate, I said well written.

From some other sources I read it does sounds accurate though.

Given the current political cycle, and Mr Becks ideology, it's a fair bet there will be few unbiased reviews.