african-american

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
yes. unless you're really too inattentive to follow along with something that may change once every 20 years or so. then you've officially stopped learning and are close to if not at the point of needing adult diapers and a droolcatcher.

I can think of at least 5 changes in my lifetime & I'm only 45.

I love it when it's better to change the rules once you get what you want insterad of living by them.

chcr

Too cute for words
I love it when it's better to change the rules once you get what you want insterad of living by them.
*sigh* It's a little hard to believe you can be so obtuse that you think rules get changed when people have what they want. :grinno:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Call me dis.
ok.
No, wait, call me dat.
ok.
On second thought....
yea, whatever.
That still isn't right.
DAT, and dats final.

pc_builder

Really, though. If black people want some kind of label to differentiate themselves from, say, white people, they shouldn't use African-American. Granted, most anyone who hears that term will think of a black person.

But when I used to drive cab, I had an African-American passenger once. He told me he was originally from South Africa. And I had never before heard an accent like his. He was as WHITE as... well he was whiter than me.

Ironically, whenever I hear the term "African-American", it reminds me of the man I met from South Africa. :D

JTP

Some of my Creek and Choctaw buddies refer to themselves as "feather-head Indians", to distinguish from the "dot-head" variety. Even though SE US Indians didn't wear feathers, that's just their sense of humor.
Also, I've noticed most Cajuns think it's okay to call one another a "coon-ass", but don't use that term if you're not Cajun- they will be offended. Most Cajuns I know have a real good sense of humor. Me, I'm a mutt-American and find that descriptive enough.