After V-Tech they didn't learn a damned thing

jimpeel

We have a gun registry up here, although it's being challenged. It's not being challenged because it's ineffective or useless, but because it's over budget.

Cops use the registry thousands of times/week. Particularly in cases of domestic violence calls. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/ppa-pap/sur-son-eng.htm

The registry is a tool for the police, not the gvt.

Are you actually saying that the police are independent of the government? That the police will not be the enforcement arm for whatever laws the government decides to pass which abrogates rights and freedoms?

jimpeel

though it would be amusing to watch the teabaggers whine about such a thing... yes, bad idea.

Australia: Registration then confiscation

Britain: Registration then confiscation

Germany: Registration then confiscation

Everywhere that registration has been enacted has eventually had confiscation.

If you don't think it can happen here, it already has.

2minkey

bootlicker
really? i'm not registered or confiscated.

oh, wait, you're right, the sky is falling. well, better get right with jesus.

MrBishop

Are you actually saying that the police are independent of the government? That the police will not be the enforcement arm for whatever laws the government decides to pass which abrogates rights and freedoms?
Independent, no... free-thinking individuals trying their damnedest to keep people safe and stop the place from falling around our ears into chaos.

catocom

Independent, no... free-thinking individuals trying their damnedest to keep people safe and stop the place from falling around our ears into chaos.

if that 'free-thinking' uses the laws of the universe, and not alice in wonderland.

2minkey

bootlicker
the laws of the universe? like, um, gravity or some shit? or do you mean the kind of laws of the universe that are fairly equivalent to... alice in wonderland...?

jimpeel

You apparently think that I am simply cop-bashing. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are good and bad everywhere. Those who deserve bashing should be rightly so.

In ‘The Development of the American Police: An Historical Overview’, Craig Uchida notes that "If there is a common theme that can be used to characterize the police in the 19th Century, it is the large-scale corruption that occurred in most police departments across the United States" (Uchida, 1993).

In ‘Forces of Deviance: Understanding the Dark Side of Policing’, Kappeler, Sluder, and Alpert point out that corruption among police is not new or peculiar to the late 20th century. "To study the history of police is to study police deviance, corruption and misconduct." (Kappeler et al., 1994.)

So I ask you this ... :

Should the cops who played a starring role in the Christopher Commission Report be 'bashed"?

How about the cops who played a starring role in the Mollen Commission investigation?

The cops who played a starring role in the Knapp Commission corruption hearings?

The cops who played a starring role in the Los Angeles Rampart Division investigation?

The Denver cop who caused the death of Ismael Mena -- by knowingly signing a bogus search warrantHow about?

The police that kicked in the wrong door -- and caused a 70 year old minister to have a heart attack and die?

The police that caused the deaths of 25 children at Waco, TX for "their own protection"?

The police that shot a mother holding a 10 month old baby -- after the rules of engagement were illegally changed?

The police that have regularly shaken down black motorists on Hwy. 95 in Florida?

The police that went on a drunken rampage in Los Angeles -- firing their weapons at signs, street lights, and a California Highway Patrolman?

The police that broke into the home of Donald Scott in Malibu, CA -- and shot him to death in a botched seizure raid that netted nothing but the death of Mr. Scott?

The police that fled from the scene of the Los Angeles riots -- leaving the people to fend for themselves with privately held firearms?

The FBI agents who testified in the Whitey Bulger trial -- who took gifts and payoffs and allowed murders and other criminal activities to occur and go unpunished?

The sheriff's deputy who opened fire on a Black teenager, critically wounding him, because he thought the "Three Musketeers" candy bar in his hand was a firearm?

To all of the above, I say "Hell, yes!"

LEO "bashing" has its place. They are not all "free-thinking individuals trying their damnedest to keep people safe and stop the place from falling around our ears into chaos."

catocom

the laws of the universe? like, um, gravity or some shit? or do you mean the kind of laws of the universe that are fairly equivalent to... alice in wonderland...?

the former...formal Laws that have passed from theory...been proven...

Winky

I see this as an attempt to equate physical laws

with human morality

To a religious man i.e. someone who believes the
physical universe was created by ghosts and or goblins
their morality is set down by dogma.

To an atheist such as myself, morality is dictated by
the fact that humans exist in a universe with physical laws
and morality is dictated by that reality.

Wishing it wasn’t so is mere folly.

Pee’s pee’s are for procreatin’ and peeing.

Neither Christianity nor quantum mechanics
finds any utility in ramming yer pee pee
up another man’s poopchute.

Thereby we surmise homosexual sex is aberrant behavior.

Allowing people to protect themselves against mass murder
by being armed might have some utility
but we don’t see a big push to legalize that now do we?

MrBishop

I see this as an attempt to equate physical laws

with human morality

To a religious man i.e. someone who believes the
physical universe was created by ghosts and or goblins
their morality is set down by dogma.

To an atheist such as myself, morality is dictated by
the fact that humans exist in a universe with physical laws
and morality is dictated by that reality.

Wishing it wasn’t so is mere folly.

Pee’s pee’s are for procreatin’ and peeing.

Neither Christianity nor quantum mechanics
finds any utility in ramming yer pee pee
up another man’s poopchute.

Thereby we surmise homosexual sex is aberrant behavior.

You forgot one "P" - Pleasure. A double-edged sword. In order to supplement the natural urge to reproduce, sex is pleasurable...then again, so is masturbation, mutual masturbation, oral sex and anal sex. ( not to mention other forms of sex-play - or foreplay, if you will. )

What about Lesbians, then?

catocom

um, like... gravity? anything else you wanna add in there?

yeah 'like' gravity....the end.
straight logic in accordance.

I don't know how else to word it there.

maybe....
as long as they don't try to make it something so that they can do what ever they want, like all these other bills/language.

Winky

What's with all these V-Tech shootings anyway?

Self defense is not a right it’s a privilege.

Winky

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...