Airbus to Unveil Largest Passenger Jet

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Lopan said:
I don't think America is the main destination in mind. Asia, Australia and the Indian sub continent are more likely.

Look who's buying

I can see something that large landing at LAX, SEA-TAC, Hartsfield, Kennedy, O'Hare, and, possibly, Miami. They could also land at anyplace that could handle a C-5. It wouldn't be profitable to fly between cities in Asia. Trans-oceanic is where a plane like that would be useful. ;)

Lopan

Gato_Solo said:
I can see something that large landing at LAX, SEA-TAC, Hartsfield, Kennedy, O'Hare, and, possibly, Miami. They could also land at anyplace that could handle a C-5. It wouldn't be profitable to fly between cities in Asia. Trans-oceanic is where a plane like that would be useful. ;)

Not cities but hub destinations. If you fly to Australia you have a possibility of stopping twice on the way there. It would cost less to have one plane with the passengers for thailand, malaysia and Australia on board than 3 planes with 3 destinations. If you fly to america from britain you can only stop at iceland. Thus making america the less likely destination for the super jumbo.

catocom

You won't see me riding that deathtrap.
I've seen the vids of the one the wings boke off of.
I don't trust airbus anyway.

EDIT: now if they wanna give me one and park it on my property,
I'd like to turn it into a house, and make the engines into generators. :nerd:

Inkara1

It's really funny how Drudge replaced the plane pictures with pics of some random guy that I think I'm supposed to recognize but don't. It's funny because, in my reply to Hex's post, I said that it looks like 60s design.

Gato_Solo

Lopan said:
Not cities but hub destinations. If you fly to Australia you have a possibility of stopping twice on the way there. It would cost less to have one plane with the passengers for thailand, malaysia and Australia on board than 3 planes with 3 destinations. If you fly to america from britain you can only stop at iceland. Thus making america the less likely destination for the super jumbo.

You're joking, right? Most of the fuel that aircraft use is used during taxi and take-off. Land a beast that size at 'hub' airports, and your profitability goes down the tubes. You use your smaller, more efficient planes to fly from the hubs to the main port, and sardine the passengers onto that behemoth from there. Fly, fully loaded, from your main airport across the ocean to your other main airport, and you'll save yourself a whole lot of headaches. ;)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Inkara1 said:
It's really funny how Drudge replaced the plane pictures with pics of some random guy that I think I'm supposed to recognize but don't. It's funny because, in my reply to Hex's post, I said that it looks like 60s design.
And here I thought it was really strange reading through the comments on those pics. 60's designs, interior shots, whoa....

Professur

Airbus revises A380 break-even point
Now 420 aircraft, up from 270
By Lester Haines → More by this author
Published Friday 20th October 2006 11:15 GMT

Airbus parent company EADS has announced a new break-even point for its troubled A380 programme - 420 aircraft as opposed to the previous 270, the BBC reports. Current orders for the A380 stand at 159.

The A380 roll-out has now been delayed three times due to "wiring problems" and the first example will not be delivered until October 2007.

New Airbus big cheese Louis Gallois recently admitted "painful" job losses were likely as a result of the knock-backs, while Rolls-Royce earlier this month suspended A380 engine production while "waiting for more details about requirements from Airbus".

Airbus has calculated that the whole sorry saga will cost it €2.8bn in profits over the next four years, added to the €2bn it announced back in June 2006.

Airlines, meanwhile, have expressed growing frustration at the situation. Qantas, which won't take delivery of the first of 12 A380s it's ordered until August 2008, recently asked: "How are we going to mount the capacity in the short-term?" Emirates, the biggest customer to date with 43 on order, admitted it was "reviewing its options".

On a brighter note, EADS chief financial officer Andreas Sperl told a gathering of analysts and investors that Airbus "still expected to sell more than 750 of its new planes over the life of the project". ®

Source

It should once again be noted : Boeing could have built this decades ago .... but decided it wasn't economically viable. A fact now being borne out by Airbus. Or in other words ..... We told you so.

highwayman

It should once again be noted : Boeing could have built this decades ago .... but decided it wasn't economically viable. A fact now being borne out by Airbus. Or in other words ..... We told you so.

Something to consider. Boing is a for profit corperation and airbus, is well, owned by government..Any government does not show any profit...

Gato_Solo

Aha...looks like UPS may pull they're fat out of the fire. They're building freighters alongside the sardine cans. I hope they don't fly those to an Air Force base. :eek5:

Professur

UPS threatens to cancel A380 order
Any more delays and the deal's off
2007/02/23
United Parcel Service (UPS) will cancel its order for 10 freight versions of the A380 superjumbo if there are any further delays to a revised delivery schedule, the BBC reports.

UPS had been due to take the controls off its shiny new aircraft between 2009 and 2012, but the A380's wiring woes - which have set the whole programme back by around two years - meant that the first example would be eight months late.

The new contract allows UPS to cancel the order altogether if the rejigged delivery dates are not met. UPS and Airbus have agreed not to disclose exactly what those dates are.

If UPS does bin the $2.8bn order, it's pretty much the end of the freight A380, since it's the only remaining customer for the type. FedEx cancelled its order last year.

Airbus now says the first passenger-carrying A380 will be delivered in October. We shall see. ®

source

Professur

Updated: 7:26 p.m. CT March 5, 2007

PARIS - The Airbus superjumbo program suffered a major new setback Friday as UPS Inc. said it would cancel its order for 10 A380s, leaving the aircraft maker with an empty order book for the cargo version of its much-delayed flagship.

The move comes just a week after UPS, the world’s largest shipping carrier, and Airbus announced a revised agreement that gave either party the right to terminate the order.

In a statement, Atlanta-based UPS said it decided to cancel after it learned Airbus was diverting employees from the freighter program to work on its passenger plane program.

UPS said the final cancellation decision will be formally presented to Airbus on the first date specified under last week’s agreement.

“We lost confidence in their ability to meet those schedules,” UPS spokesman Mark Giuffre said of the A380F agreement with Airbus.

The announcement by UPS comes four months after rival FedEx Corp. also scrapped its 10-plane order, and leaves Airbus with no orders for the superjumbo freighter — dealing a new blow to its A380 program, whose two-year delay has 5 billion euros ($6.6 billion) off profit forecasts for 2006-2010.

“We respect the client’s decision,” Airbus spokeswoman Barbara Kracht said in response to the cancellation. “UPS is and remains a valuable and strong customer and business partner for Airbus.”

The A380 program as a whole “is progressing well and in line with the new timetable, with the first delivery to the first customer in October 2007,” she said, referring to launch customer Singapore Airlines — set to become the first carrier to take paying passengers in the double-decker plane.

UPS declined to comment on whether the company was likely to order other aircraft from Airbus or turn to Chicago-based Boeing Co. to fill the gap left by the cancellations. “We’re looking at our next steps,” Giuffre said.

Chris Lozier, an analyst for Chicago-based Morningstar, said the cancellation is a crippling blow for the entire Airbus cargo program and a boon for Boeing.

“It almost spells the demise for that cargo business, because the alternative to the 380 is the (Boeing) 747,” he said. “You would expect UPS to be at the negotiating table with Boeing right now, if not weeks ago, working out details for the 747.”

Boeing declined to say whether it was in talks for the UPS contract.

“While UPS is a longstanding and valued customer of ours, we do not and cannot comment on any discussions we might be having with customers,” said Jim Proulx, a spokesman for Boeing’s commercial airplane division in Seattle.

UPS, also known as United Parcel Service, had ordered its first 10 A380 aircraft in January 2005 for use on U.S.-Asia routes. The deal included an option to buy 10 more planes.

Shares of Airbus parent European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. had already been tumbling on the freighter program freeze, announced late Thursday. The stock ended the day down 4 percent at 23.63 euros ($31.23) in Paris trading.

source