Alright, so what?

chcr

Too cute for words
Fuel cells correct that problem, but intil you can fill up your hydrogen tank every couple of hundred miles, you can't really use 'em.

Altron

As long as you're willing to live in a society that has cumbustion engines, en masse, and uses energy to make stuff (inclding more energy) you will breath far more foul & harmful ingredients than a little cigarette smoke. But you do have the right to not allow it in your car or house.

I don't randomly let people smoke in my car, they need to be given permission first.

And it ain't an everyday thing, only a few of my work friends and none of my school friends smoke.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm not so sure that's true. OTOH, I find it unconscionable that alcohol and tobacco are legal and marijuana is not. But then I think all drugs should be legalized and regulated. Most of the currently illegal ones are less harmful than a lot of the prescribable ones. The anti-tobacco folks have shown us how to get rid of drugs, we as a society are too stupid to understand what we've seen. :shrug:

I'd love to see your reasoning behind that one...;)

BTW...I'd like to see the death penalty for any high crime (including white-collar) or violent crime. Only three appeals, and those appeals must be taken within 8 years, then watch the hilarity ensue...

chcr

Too cute for words
I'd love to see your reasoning behind that one...;)

BTW...I'd like to see the death penalty for any high crime (including white-collar) or violent crime. Only three appeals, and those appeals must be taken within 8 years, then watch the hilarity ensue...

1. Side effects. Marijuana is an as good as or better analgesic than aspirin, acetaminiphine or ibuprofen without the inherent gastro-intestinal side effects, heroin is (as much as something like that can be quantified) 10 times the pain reliever as morphine with the same side effects, etc., etc., etc...

2. I'm with you on that one but add public flogging, stocks and so forth to the mix.

Gato_Solo

1. Side effects. Marijuana is an as good as or better analgesic than aspirin, acetaminiphine or ibuprofen without the inherent gastro-intestinal side effects, heroin is (as much as something like that can be quantified) 10 times the pain reliever as morphine with the same side effects, etc., etc., etc...

You forgot the short term memory loss and the increased paranoia, but go ahead...

As for heroin...nice try. It's also 10 times more addicting than morphine.

chcr said:
2. I'm with you on that one but add public flogging, stocks and so forth to the mix.

:grinyes: Make it standard in every case, and make every case based upon a preponderance of evidence. I'd also throw in an "acid test". If the lawyer, or general public, feels so strongly about the perpetrators innocence, put the guy in their house for one year. Once again...make it stick.

chcr

Too cute for words
You forgot the short term memory loss and the increased paranoia, but go ahead...

As for heroin...nice try. It's also 10 times more addicting than morphine.

Short term memory loss? I... what, what was I saying? :D
*Point in your favor.

Re. heroin, a) do you have a good source that shows that it's more additive and b) who cares how addicting it is, you're only going to give it to terminally ill patients who are in a lot of pain.

Gato_Solo

Short term memory loss? I... what, what was I saying? :D
*Point in your favor.

Re. heroin, a) do you have a good source that shows that it's more additive and b) who cares how addicting it is, you're only going to give it to terminally ill patients who are in a lot of pain.

a) Only the lines at the methodone clinics with repeat 'customers'...
b) I'm fairly sure that the only people using it are not going to be terminally ill.

chcr

Too cute for words
a) Only the lines at the methodone clinics with repeat 'customers'...
b) I'm fairly sure that the only people using it are not going to be terminally ill.

Morphine abuse is not so widespread because it's a controlled rather than smuggled commodity (you generally have to steal it). The treatment (methadone) for addiction is the same though. They're both opium derivatives after all and heroin is synthesized from morphine. I've never seen a comparison but you're the first person I've ever heard suggest that heroin was more addictive than morphine. :shrug:

Perhaps I should have said "prescribed to use it." You legalize the use of the drugs and prescribe them accordingly (except, of course, marijuana which should be regulated like alcohol, IMO). Why does everyone always assume that when you say legalize drugs it invariably means either "give 'em to everyone who asks" or even "make everybody take 'em?" People who already take them illegally are unlikely to stop and those that aren't are unlikely to start.

Edit: note that a lot of people seem to think methadone is more addictive than either morphine or heroin.

Gato_Solo

Morphine abuse is not so widespread because it's a controlled rather than smuggled commodity (you generally have to steal it). The treatment (methadone) for addiction is the same though. They're both opium derivatives after all and heroin is synthesized from morphine. I've never seen a comparison but you're the first person I've ever heard suggest that heroin was more addictive than morphine. :shrug:

Has to be, all things considered. Grape juice won't give you a buzz, but wine sure will.

chcr said:
Perhaps I should have said "prescribed to use it." You legalize the use of the drugs and prescribe them accordingly (except, of course, marijuana which should be regulated like alcohol, IMO). Why does everyone always assume that when you say legalize drugs it invariably means either "give 'em to everyone who asks" or even "make everybody take 'em?" People who already take them illegally are unlikely to stop and those that aren't are unlikely to start.

Because that's what most media outlets put out...and that's what legalized means. They never mention regulation...just legalization.

chcr said:
Edit: note that a lot of people seem to think methadone is more addictive than either morphine or heroin.

:shrug: I wouldn't know. I'll have to pass that one off to SnP, who may have more knowledge on the subject...

2minkey

bootlicker
i've heard the same thing about methadone being very addictive.

the guy i heard this from used to get his "allowance" of methadone, shoot it all at once... and then go get some heroin. so i guess he'd know. i wonder if he's still alive... wonder, not care...