Annoying as all get-out...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I am now in the market for a TV stand. Basically, it's a small 'shelf' that goes under the TV in the entertainment center, so I have a nice, level place to put my DVD and my center speaker. Since I don't have the tools required (apartment living), I started looking for prices on-line. That's when I found out that the name of the shelf I'm looking for is called a "TV Riser". This took 10 minutes of looking through pictures on google. I then started looking at prices. That's where the annoying part comes in. For what is, basically, one smallish piece of 3/4" plywood and some 2" dowels, the cost is insane. The minimum I saw was $39.99...and that did not include shipping. For some perspective...one interior-grade sheet of 3/4" plywood can be had for less than the price of that stand. I could make at least 6 of those stands out of one 4 X 8 sheet of plywood. The dowels and wood screws I'd need would only add about $20.00 for the six...so, for around $60.00, I could have 6 risers...one for me, and 5 to sell off to anyone interested. The people who make these things need to understand one very important thing...IT'S JUST A SHELF!!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The difference is, do you wanna make 6 of 'em or do you wanna buy one & get on with your life? Time + energy = retail.

Gato_Solo

The difference is, do you wanna make 6 of 'em or do you wanna buy one & get on with your life? Time + energy = retail.

If I had the tools, you bet your bippy. We're talking something that costs...from Home Depot...10 bucks per piece to make being sold for $40. Trust me when I say this...I am not buying that. I'm hitting the hobby shop tomorrow to see what I can do. I also know where I can glom onto some 1" plywood for next-to-nothing. That means I only need to buy the dowels and wood screws...whoops. Just the dowels. I've got some 1 1/2" brass wood screws lying about here somewhere.

BTW...Time + energy = work. Retail is deciding how much your time and energy are worth to you. If you think that 10 minutes of work and $10 dollars of supplies are worth $40, then more power to you. My mind says otherwise.

Dave

If you think that 10 minutes of work and $10 dollars of supplies are worth $40, then more power to you.

When was the last time ANY home project took just 10 minutes? ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I agree Gato, it is outrageous. However, market price is set by the consumer. That's why my wife & I both drive 12 year old cars & live in a 80 year old house in the inner city. I ain't paying THAT!!!!!!

Inkara1

I'd feel better about your stand if you could find longer screws. You'll also need some edge veneer for the plywood for aesthetics.

$40 is a little steep, yes... but then again, there's the cost of materials, the cost to pay the people that build the table, the cost of overhead for the factory, the cost of diesel for the truck to ship the tables to the store, the cost of paying the truck driver, the cost of propane for the forklifts both loading and unloading, the cost of the employees at the store, the cost of overhead for the store building, then a bit of profit for the table-making company and profit for the store. So it's not as steep as it would seem all things considered.

Gato_Solo

I'd feel better about your stand if you could find longer screws. You'll also need some edge veneer for the plywood for aesthetics.

$40 is a little steep, yes... but then again, there's the cost of materials, the cost to pay the people that build the table, the cost of overhead for the factory, the cost of diesel for the truck to ship the tables to the store, the cost of paying the truck driver, the cost of propane for the forklifts both loading and unloading, the cost of the employees at the store, the cost of overhead for the store building, then a bit of profit for the table-making company and profit for the store. So it's not as steep as it would seem all things considered.

1 inch half-round would suffice. Since my stand is made, I'll drop by Home Depot and get some. I'm ,ot looking at more than $5.00 for the total in length, and I could cut that, too...on a mitre...at the wood shop on base. While I will agree that some profit is okay, this mark-up is extreme. Even with all the things you added into the price, it doesn't justify, IMO, the mark-up, if you take into account the discount for buying your supplies in bulk. I'm sure that they could make a nice profit with just a $10 mark-up, and would sell more to boot...same quality, too.

Dave

I'm sure that they could make a nice profit with just a $10 mark-up, and would sell more to boot...same quality, too.

but would the consumer buy it or pass it over figuring it was sub-standard

2minkey

bootlicker
Let's talk aesthetics. Will what you create match seamlessly with what you have?

i think the fact that the whole commentary here has centered on an outrageous $40 (LMMFAO) pretty much obviates any aesthetic consideration.

i fully agree with your priority here.

but i'm afraid it's already been relegated to "contemporary cheapshit" school of design.

tonksy

The point is is it going to stick out like a sore thumb if you construct one yourself? If, not then hammer away. It was just another thing to consider.

MrBishop

Buy better wood...dont' buy chip-board and anything less than 3/4" ply. It's supporting your TV.

Pine's cheap enough and less...fragile.

Gato_Solo

The point is is it going to stick out like a sore thumb if you construct one yourself? If, not then hammer away. It was just another thing to consider.

No. It actually looks quite nice. I went to the hobby shop on base and used a router on the corners. The top is painted black, and the legs are painted grey. All-in-all...including the travel time of 10 minutes, it took me 30 minutes.