Another couple denied marriage license...

catocom

they were not 'denied'.
They were referred to another JoP.

Why call for His resignation, just because you don't agree with his religious beliefs?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Is interracial marriage or avoidance thereof part of a religion?

And if that was directed at me, for the sake of clarity - I am stumped as to how this guy is not yet fired as he is clearly admitting to not doing his job. Not only that, he is not doing his job in a way that violates whatever laws exist there about government not discriminating based on race.

Professur

Is interracial marriage or avoidance thereof part of a religion?

And if that was directed at me, for the sake of clarity - I am stumped as to how this guy is not yet fired as he is clearly admitting to not doing his job. Not only that, he is not doing his job in a way that violates whatever laws exist there about government not discriminating based on race.

Um, just out of curiosity,... have you read his job description? I know for a fact that the guy who married me has the right to refuse to marry anyone regardless of religious reasons, if he doesn't think the marriage is viable. Y'see, most priests and ministers also hold 'justice of the peace' status.

If this guy is refusing .... I'd wager he knows damn well if he's within his rights or not.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
nah, I hadn't read anything on the subject whatsoever before commenting. That would be stupid.

Bardwell, who has been a JP for 34 years, says the state attorney general told him years ago that he would eventually get into trouble for not performing interracial marriages, The Star says.

“I told him if I do, I’ll resign,” Bardwell says. “I have rights too. I’m not obligated to do that just because I’m a justice of the peace.”

link

But that's all ok. He has piles and piles of black friends. They're even allowed to use his bathroom! :eek:

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way. I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

link

Good ole boy keeps his job. Awesome.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
nah, I hadn't read anything on the subject whatsoever before commenting. That would be stupid.

link

But that's all ok. He has piles and piles of black friends. They're even allowed to use his bathroom! :eek:

link

cut the guy some slack, some of his best friends are black

H2O boy

link

link

he denied no one marriage. he simply declined to perform it

has anyone else cared to notice the brides career and aducational ambitions?

looks like shes well on her way to success

i would think this man knows a bit more about both his job and the law than all of us put together know about them

its amazing though. someone does someting that will never impact any of us except we dont like it and the vitriol flows like spring water. good thing that doesnt swing backatcha aint it? some justice of the peace might frown on decisions you have made too. i suppose he would then have the right to take it to the internet and say just about antyhing he wanted to say from his own computer. i thought we were beyond the mud slinging around here now that the unreal world has been shelved in favor of peace and love and hope

maybe just the rest of us are supposed to stop it though

Dave

they were not 'denied'.
They were referred to another JoP.

If someone did that to us, I wouldn't make a stink about it depending on how he handled it. If he just said "sorry, I don't believe in that but go see so-and-so" I wouldn't care. If he started haranguing us, it would be another matter.

spike

has anyone else cared to notice the brides career and aducational ambitions?

looks like shes well on her way to success

How is this relevant?

i would think this man knows a bit more about both his job and the law than all of us put together know about them

"Louisiana's governor and a U.S. senator today have called for the ouster of the justice of the peace who refused to marry an interracial couple, saying his actions clearly broke the law" :shrug:

H2O boy

im playing by the popular rules of the times. guilt by association. stealing tactics if you plaese. shes trying to be sharpton jr by yelling racism, when her entire educational career is preparing her to do it for a living

go ahead i know its eating you up

catocom

If someone did that to us, I wouldn't make a stink about it depending on how he handled it. If he just said "sorry, I don't believe in that but go see so-and-so" I wouldn't care. If he started haranguing us, it would be another matter.

agreed
that certainly wouldn't be justice of peace

spike

shes trying to be sharpton jr by yelling racism, when her entire educational career is preparing her to do it for a living

It looks like their just calling racism because of the racism. Her education doesn't really have anything to do with it.

H2O boy

someone wont do something another person wants, and because the requesting party is a differnt race, it automatically makes it a racist decision. even when the person states the reason for not doing it

youre good. you must be next in line for a cnn anchor spot