Anti-loitering device testing in Quebec

MrBishop

Quebec's most popular chain of convenience stores is testing out a device that sends out high-frequency sound waves to keep young loiterers away from some of its stores, CBC News has learned. The move comes as the City of Montreal is being asked to bring in a city-wide ban against the device, known commercially as the Mosquito.

The device emits an irritating, high-pitched tone that most people over the age of 25 can't hear. Couche-Tard is testing the device at a store in Laval. Company spokesperson Denise Deveau would confirm only a few details about Couche-Tard's experiment.

"We are in a testing period with the Mosquito device," said Deveau. "We will test it during the spring and summer, and only then will we be able to make an assessment.
"We do not really wish to publicize which of our sites have the device."

Quebec Human and Youth Rights Commission believes the Mosquito violates at least four rights in the Quebec Charter of Rights, among them the right to peaceful assembly and security of the person. A youth centre in the Plateau-Mont-Royal borough has already successfully lobbied the City of Montreal not to install the Mosquito on city property.

On Monday night, officials from the youth centre will be back before city council asking for an island-wide bylaw banning the device.
Link

Question. Does the freedom of assembly mean the right to loiter?

pc_builder

Why would that necessarily be annoying to the kids? The "mosquito" ringtone is quite popular with them because "adults can't hear it".

Frankly, it also depends on the hardware playing it. Luckily for me, I can still hear most high frequency sounds. A recent test with that ringtone however, revealed that the phone I currently have is incapable of reproducing the frequency (17khz)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yeah it's popular as a ring tone...but like just about any ring tone, if it was playing non-stop in the background they probably won't wanna hang out there. I love my text message ring tone but if it was playing constantly over some speakers i'd go insane.

Inkara1

On the first day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.

On the second day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.

On the third day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I got a job, keeping people from hanging out in front of the drugstore.

MrBishop

In an interview with the manufacturers on a local radio program, the rep mentioned other uses..such as during riots, in parks at night (off hours), near schools etc.. (off hours). To stop loitering... but the range of the noise..er..bugs me.

If this device is running at night near schools f'r instance..to dissaude drug-use, smoking, general loitering...and I live across the street from said school..would this keep my kids up at night?