Arizona moving towards police state

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike

Arizona Goes Over the Edge

Published: April 17, 2010

The Arizona Legislature has just stepped off the deep end of the immigration debate, passing a harsh and mean-spirited bill that would do little to stop illegal immigration. What it would do is lead to more racial profiling, hobble local law enforcement, and open government agencies to frivolous, politically driven lawsuits.

The bill is a grab bag of measures to enlist law enforcement and government at every level to expose and expel the undocumented. Opponents say it verges on a police state, which sounds overblown until you read it.

It would make not having immigration documents a new state misdemeanor, and allow officers to arrest anyone who could not immediately prove they were here legally. That means if you are brown-skinned and leave home without a wallet, you are in trouble.

Police agencies that believe overly tough enforcement tactics are undercutting their ability to fight crime would have to crack down anyway. The bill would require police officers who have “reasonable suspicion” about someone’s immigration status to demand to see documents. And it would empower anyone to sue any state agency or official or any county, city or town that he or she believes is not fully enforcing immigration law.

The bill, passed by Arizona’s Republican-controlled House on a party-line vote, has already passed the state Senate and will soon be before Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican. She has not said whether she will sign it.

Immigrant advocates and civil-rights lawyers are appalled, and so are police chiefs and sheriffs who say the bill is an assault on public safety, since it would force newly criminalized immigrants to fear and shun the police. It would divert law enforcement resources away from chasing violent offenders, and toward an all-out assault on the mostly harmless undocumented, with the innocent as collateral damage.

It is now up to Governor Brewer to do what is best for her state: she should refuse to sign. If this dangerous experiment becomes law, Washington can still end it by refusing to cooperate, cutting off access to immigration records. Either way, it should cancel programs that enlist state and local law enforcement in the indiscriminate hunt for the undocumented.

The Arizona bill is another reminder why the administration needs to push for real immigration reform. The failure to address it nationally has left the field wide open for this outrage, and we fear more to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/opinion/18sun3.html

ResearchMonkey

1268371984963.jpg

Where's that wall we paid for?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've been embarassed by what has happened to Az since I left.

The anti-illegal alien bill and this,

The Arizona House on Wednesday approved a bill that would require U.S. presidential candidates who want to appear on the ballot in Arizona to submit documents proving they meet the constitutional requirements to be President.

I am now relieved to know it has regained some of its sense.

spike

Re: Arizona moving towards a free state

Arizona is sounding like it could be damn good place to live

Yes if you like police states where you can be arrested for leaving your house without your wallet you might like it.

Other people like freedom.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: Arizona moving towards a free state

Yes if you like police states where you can be arrested for leaving your house without your wallet you might like it.

Don't even go there. Remember the Inglewood cop who got out of the car & walked away from LA cops about a decade ago?

ResearchMonkey

It's true, on both counts. There is no discussion with you, you're hard wired to the machine.

I think its funny how often you 'don't understand' others and how often you 'never said' or 'implied that'.

Has it always been this difficult for you?

Professur

Perhaps if the Fed gov't took the southern border violations a little more seriously Az wouldn't have to put laws like this in place.

I was watching a hunting show last night, and in the middle of the hunt, they had to stop hunting because of drug smugglers walking right through the New Mexico valley they were set up in. Walking right through with packs on their backs, stopped for a leisurely lunch at the side of a lake, and continued on, forcing the hunters to sprint for the truck they'd left ... right where they smugglers were headed.

spike

It's true, on both counts. There is no discussion with you, you're hard wired to the machine.

It would appear that your the one that doesn't discuss things well and is hard wired to the machine. Mostly bumper sticker images from you more than any intelligent discussion.

I think its funny how often you 'don't understand' others and how often you 'never said' or 'implied that'.

Yes, when other people aren't being very clear I ask for clarification and when they use straw men I call them out. That's the way rational discussion works.

Has it always been this difficult for you?

I'm not really having any difficulty here. I did notice you where having some difficulty responding to my question about Latinos though.

Have you come up with an answer yet?

Also if you perhaps had an relevant thoughts on the new potential AZ law requiring you to have your papers whenever you leave the house that might make this exchange more interesting.

spike

Perhaps if the Fed gov't took the southern border violations a little more seriously Az wouldn't have to put laws like this in place.

I don't think there's really any excuse for laws like this.

I was watching a hunting show last night, and in the middle of the hunt, they had to stop hunting because of drug smugglers walking right through the New Mexico valley they were set up in. Walking right through with packs on their backs, stopped for a leisurely lunch at the side of a lake, and continued on, forcing the hunters to sprint for the truck they'd left ... right where they smugglers were headed.

Interesting, how did they know they were drug smugglers?

spike

No you made shit up, making innuendos that I'm a a racist.

Actually no, I asked you if you were racist against Latinos because you posted a image showing the Latino population of the US as if it were a problem. I don't really see any other purpose of you showing that image unless it's to say "there's too many latinos, legal or otherwise". Maybe you'd like to clarify what the point was you were trying to make with the image?

People like you sicken me.

Right back at you.

enjoy your TeaBags.

I'm more into coffee. Sometimes energy drinks.

Professur

I don't think there's really any excuse for laws like this.

I expect they see it differently

Interesting, how did they know they were drug smugglers?

Outside of the fact that the region is famous for them, I'd say the were judging by the group's behavior when they knew they were spotted, and the group's makeup. It could be that the authorities that they immediately showed the tapes to recognized them. They could have been wrong about the drugs, but they weren't wrong about them having crossed the border illegally.

but oddly enough, all those well armed men with long range sniper scopes ... didn't take the law into their own hands. I thought it was obligatory that anyone who picked up a gun had to shoot a person with it. Here they were with not just opportunity, they had motivation, and plausible justification (self preservation) and they shot film instead. How strange is that?

MrBishop

The largest share of the foreign-born population in the United States were from Latin America .
Of the total foreign-born population in the United States in 2008, 3.8 percent were from Africa, 27.3 percent from Asia, 13.1 percent from Europe, 53.1 percent from Latin America (South America, Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean), 2.2 percent from Northern America (Canada, Bermuda, Greenland, and St. Pierre and Miquelon), and 0.6 percent from Oceania.

The top three countries of birth of the foreign born in the United States were Mexico, the Philippines, and India.*
Of the total immigrant population in the United States in 2008, 30.1 percent were born in Mexico, 4.4 percent in the Philippines, and 4.3 percent in India. In contrast, the top three countries of birth in 1990 were Mexico (21.7 percent), the Philippines (4.6 percent), and Canada (3.8 percent).

Of the total immigrant population in the United States, 28.6 percent entered during the 1990s, and 29.5 percent entered in 2000 or later.
Of the foreign-born population resident in the United States in 2008, 21.8 percent entered the country prior to 1980, 20.1 percent between 1980 and 1989, 28.6 percent between 1990 and 1999, and 29.5 percent in 2000 or later.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/datahub/acscensus.cfm#

Status
Not open for further replies.