Ashes, Ashes..we all fall down.

MrBishop

LONDON – Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano halted air traffic across Europe on Thursday as authorities closed air spaces over Britain, Ireland and the Nordic countries. Tens of thousands of passengers were stranded in one of most disruptive events to hit air travel in years.

Authorities said it was not even clear when it would be safe enough to fly again. In one sobering prediction, a scientist in Iceland said the ejection of volcanic ash — and therefore the disruptions in air travel — could continue for days or even weeks.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority said non-emergency flights would be banned in all airports until at least 6 p.m. (1700 GMT, 1 p.m. EDT). Irish authorities also closed their air space for at least eight hours, as did aviation authorities in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

The move shut down London's five major airports including Heathrow, a major trans-Atlantic hub that handles upwards of 1,200 flights and 180,000 passengers per day. Shutdowns and cancellations spread to France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden, Finland and Switzerland.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

MrBishop

I don't watch TV..though I've seen clips of the show. I'm wondering how long the Iceland smoker will mess up air-travel. Newsies were talking 'days'.

Winky

Ashes, Ashes the sky is falling!

We’d better levy a carbon tax on that evil volcano!

MrBishop

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

Some spectacular photos from the eruption of mount jldslfjasposdfujmszkdvfops..or however you pronounce it.
e01_23056097.jpg

Professur

And now they're hearing tremors from another volcano, Katla. If that one kicks off, head to your local food shops and mortgage the farm on long term vittles. The last time that happened, a goodly portion of the northern hemisphere's population died of starvation.

ResearchMonkey

I for one welcome the wrath of Katla. I think its time for some real chaos to wreak havoc upon the heavily populated liberal shit-holes along my coast. I will bath in their tears as they turn to cannibalism while they struggle to survive.

eyjatremauto.png

The gods are angry, Thor's Hammer, I'm OK with this.

MrBishop

And now they're hearing tremors from another volcano, Katla. If that one kicks off, head to your local food shops and mortgage the farm on long term vittles. The last time that happened, a goodly portion of the northern hemisphere's population died of starvation.

The last time Katla had a BIG eruption was 1918. No starvation apocalypse, I'm afraid. You want to scare-monger..do it with Yellowstone.

The last Kill-many uber-volcanic eruption was Toba..in Indonesia 74,000 years ago. My Geomorphology textbook raves about that one

Professur

The last time Katla had a BIG eruption was 1918. No starvation apocalypse, I'm afraid. You want to scare-monger..do it with Yellowstone.

The last Kill-many uber-volcanic eruption was Toba..in Indonesia 74,000 years ago. My Geomorphology textbook raves about that one
'Fraid that wasn't made up, but something I read. I'd post the link, but I'm damned if I can find again it with all the new outlets swamping the web with Katla links. But it wasn't the last Katla eruption, but the last dual eruption as I recall. I'll try to find it again, but no promises.