Asus A7V mobo

alex

I have a friend here at work who claims the Asus A7V will not run Win2k. He says he boots from the cd then formats and gets an 'inaccessable boot device' every time.....even with different HDD's. Anyone had any experience with this mobo?

Mirlyn

I'd make sure the drives are jumpered right and they show up in the bios. Then I'd do a bios update.

alex

It's gotta be something like that. I'll run it by him. I find it hard to believe that mobo is incompatible with Win2k.

Mirlyn

alex said:
It's gotta be something like that. I'll run it by him. I find it hard to believe that mobo is incompatible with Win2k.
Yeah, did a quick googlize and found many running 2k on it. Jumpers and bios updates seemed to be the biggest fix-all suggested to those with problems. :)

yup, BIOS definetly, i remember back then that my 2nd IDE channel never showed up in 2k, flashing to the then latest BIOS sorted the issue, might well be a related to his problem now.

alex

He says he has all the jumpers set properly, updated the BIOS a couple of months ago. Says he can load 98 just fine then 2k craps out with no hardware changes :shrug:

He should test his RAM etc.. 2k is alot less forgiving of such errors than 98 is, could also be a dodgy driver or periphial causing it, suggest he install with minimal components (ram and video only).