bad car luck

valkyrie

Parents, especially elderly, living with their child, is a reverse course. When they've lost the ability to function by themselves, the roles get (for all intents) reversed. The child does owe the parent a decent & reasonable ending, just as the parent owed the child a decent & reasonable beginning.

Having several family members in the nursing home business, all I can say is...not in this life would I subject my parent to that. I owe them better than that.
My mom wasn't diagnosed with cancer when she lived with me. I think I gave that impression and I apologize. Actually she was quite healthy at the time and just wanted to move back down to Texas.

I made the offer for her to live with me because she had mentioned the desire to move back and the difficulties of moving back down without a job in hand. She let me live at home while I was paying my way through college for the first 2 years, rent free, as an adult. (I transferred to another university for the remainder and paid my own way after that.) I owed her a free place to stay and more. She actually tried to pay me but I told her I wanted her to save the money for her own place, which she did. I was very happy to make the offer and happy she accepted. It made me feel like I was getting the chance to pay her back for all the years she supported me (as a child and the few she did as an college student).

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I understood you. Just using it as a jumping off point to illustrate the differences between moving back with mommy vs mommy moving in with you.

valkyrie

I understood you. Just using it as a jumping off point to illustrate the differences between moving back with mommy vs mommy moving in with you.
LOL! OK.

You did make a good point. G and I have talked about his mom and when that time comes. I really like her and I expect my mother-in-law to move in with us if she ever needs assistance. I don't know how medicare works. Does anyone know if it pays for a nurse to pop in every once in a while?