Barbecued Cabbage

by Paula Deen

5 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green cabbage
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Add bacon and onion to skillet and cook until just beginning to brown (about 3 to 5 minutes). Drain bacon and onion in a strainer over a bowl and reserve the drippings.

Crumple a piece of aluminum foil into a ring about 3-inches in diameter.

Cut the core out of the cabbage about 3-inches down towards the center and in a circle about 3-inches in diameter.

Add the bacon and onion mixture to the barbecue sauce. Prop the cabbage upright on the aluminum foil ring (cavity facing upright). Spoon some of the reserved bacon drippings into the cavity. Place the bacon and onion mixture into the cavity along with the butter. Brush the outside of the cabbage with the remaining reserved bacon drippings and season the cabbage with House Seasoning. Have the grill set to medium heat and place aluminum foil ring and cabbage on top of grill.

Cover and grill the cabbage until tender. When it's done it will be easy to pierce with skewer, roughly 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

To serve, peel off any of the charred outer leaves and discard. Cut the cabbage into wedges and serve.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

*Note: I use 4 tablespoons of butter, and cook in indirect heat (off to the side of the grill away from the burner that's on). Enjoy!

(click title at top of post to go to recipe with links to other grilled goodies)

Mare

sounds yummy, I love cabbage, get heart burn from bacon though. I'd prolly screw it up , think you should make us all some to try! LOL:D

tonksy

That sounds very interesting! We shall have to try it when we lose our kitchen! Thanks Sharks!