Baseball trades

HomeLAN

Ok, how about we talk about all the winter trades in one cenrtralized thread (tip o' the hat to SnP). Here's what's up with my beloved Braves (just e-mailed this to the wife):

Not complete, but here are the biggies:

Furcal went to the Dodgers.
We got Edgar Renteria from Boston (TODAY) for Marte (promising 3rd
baseman).
Julio Franco was not offered arbitration. He's effectively gone.
Todd Hollisworth and Jay Powell (pitchers) not offered arbitration.
Dan Kolb goes back to Milwaukee for Obermueller (Thank God).
Johnny Estrada goes to Arizona for pitchers Cormier and Villarreal.
Kyle Farnsworth goes to the Yankees.
Chipper Jones lowers his salary by $15 million over three years, now a
guaranteed Brave through 2008, with an option on '09.
Leo Mazzone goes to the Orioles to work with Sam Perlozzo.

Gonna be a very different team next year, and we ain't done yet.

What's your favorite team been doing with their roster?

abooja

I know next to nothing about Farnsworth, so I'm not sure how to feel about that. Other than that, Big Stein's puppets have done squat in terms of major trades, which I'm quite happy about. The last thing I want the Yankees to do is trade away another young prospect at 2nd (Robinson Cano) and great young pitcher (Chien-Ming Wang) for some old big name player with a fat contract. I know we need someone in center, but for once, it looks like we won't cut off our legs to buy a new arm (or something like that).

I wouldn't mind seeing Roger Clemens back in pinstripes. I know he likes living in Texas and all, but pinstripes are slimming, plus they look better in the Hall of Fame. ;)

*Edited for one too many "next to nothing"s.

abooja

Oh, yeah. Hellelujah. :headbang:
Deals done: Traded Womack and cash to Cincinnati for prospects Kevin Howard and Ben Himes; agreed to terms with Myers on a two-year contract; extended arbitration offers to Williams :brow:, LHP Al Leiter and RHP Ramiro Mendoza; declined arbitration offers to RHP Kevin Brown, 1B Tino Martinez, C John Flaherty, RHP Felix Rodriguez, Sierra, LHP Alan Embree, OF Matt Lawton and INF Rey Sanchez.

Stop Laughing

Ask Paul Wilson what he thinks of Farnsworth. He tackled someone else too, I can't remember who ATM... He's gonna get himself killed in NY. We got Juan Pierre, a bona fide leadoff hitter (we haven't had one since Kenny Lofton, and that was a pipe dream at best). We also got Bobby Howry, finally someone reliable in the bullpen. The next talk scares me, the Cubs are looking to go after Milton Bradley, and he doesn't have any more 'get out of jail free' cards left... :D

rrfield

My team, not that anyone cares about a team that just reached .500 for the first time since 1992, traded Lyle Overbay to the Blue Jays for a middle reliever/5th starter and two prospects. Makes way for Prince Fielder at 1B. Hopefully these prospects can work their way to the Bigs soon enough to make the trade worth while.

As HL said, we got Danny Kolb back from Atlanta for our worst starter last year. Kolb won't see the 9th inning unless Turnbow gets hurt or goes nuts.

Robin Yount was signed as the 3rd base coach, great move for PR, plus he's got experience as a thrid base coach, which is meerly an added bonus. If they could get Paul Molitor as hitting coach the team would put 3 million in the stands.

Inkara1

Yeah, a quality team always helps... that sausage race has got to be the wurst gimmick in MLB.

Inkara1

Motherfucker.

The Rangers learned on Saturday that right-hander Matt Morris, who had been the club's top priority recently for starting pitching help from the free agent market, will not be coming to Texas. Rangers' general manager Jon Daniels, who had offered Morris a reported three-year, $25 million deal, received the news in a phone call from Barry Axelrod, the agent for Morris.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp...t_id=1280502&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

So offering the best deal financially (three years, $25 million) wasn't enough to land a quality pitcher like Morris. he would have been a good fit for Texas, too; he gets a good amount of ground balls which is the key to winning in Arlington.

Inkara1

Dude, we had John Rocker and Carl Everett on the team at the same time and nothing happened. I was majorly pissed; if the Rangers were going to suck they might as well have at least had fireworks in the clubhouse.

As for a good slugger... we let Kenny Rogers go.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
until the rangers realize that, due to the summer heat in texas, every player on their roster should have a last name that ends with z *gonzalez, lopez, hernandez, cortez, etc* they will never succeed.

Inkara1

Actually, I think they could do well with a group of mid-level groundball pitchers and a good hydration regimen. If a pitcher tries to nibble the strike zone and runs lots of deep counts, of course he'll wear out quickly in the heat. Get some ground balls, let the defense do the work and get out of there in 10-12 pitches. Then get back in the dugout and have some Gatorade. Even Whitie McBleachie could survive that way. It would even help the position players because you get the game done in 2:30-2:45 instead of 3:30-3:45.

rrfield

Or they could get a nice air-conditioned dome (retractable roof) to play in. Miller Park is flippin sweet, though the point of the roof there is to avoid the March, April and May snow outs ;)

HomeLAN

Just picked up Todd Pratt to play backup and mentor to Brian McAnn. I wonder how it feels, in your 14th year, to play second fiddle to a 22 yera-old with less than a year under him?

'Course, Pratt's never been first-string.

rrfield

Inkara1 said:
Isn't Miller Park the argument against "if you build it, they will come"?

Attendance has been up since the park opened, came close to 3 million the first year, been over 2 million 3 out of 5 I believe. Only drew over 2 million once in County Stadium. The Braves drew 2 million 4 years in a row in County Stadium, however.

woodman19_99

I gotta be honest with you, I am drooling over the slim possibility of a Manny for Tejada deal. I know Manny's numbers are a little better, but he is WAY to much of a space case and I really don't think he wants to play for the Sox any more.

Tejada would be a good for us too. He wants the attention and the feeling that every AB is important, something which does not really hold true with the O's.

Anyway, very happy with Beckett, Mota, and Lowel, and I have to say, I am liking the Loretta for Mirabelli deal right now. All we need to try and do is get Damon resigned to a less than astronomical contract (I can't believe he is asking for a 7yr, $84m deal) and we could be okay. Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, Clement, and Clemens(maybe), Arroyo, or Papelbon as the #5 and I would be pretty happy with that...