Baseroid

Inkara1

Well, you can bet I'm enjoying today's Texas Rangers game a lot more than yesterday's. You should've seen the grand slam by Gary Matthews, Jr.; there was no doubt that one was going into the upper upper deck at the Metrodome.

Inkara1

If the Rangers lose to Oakland today, thus falling 7 1/2 games back after a sweep... is it time to start taking odds on Buck Showalter's return next season?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
*sigh*

I been a fan since the late 70s.

It ain't the manager. Showalter is better than most.

It ain't the ballpark per se.

It ain't the defense.

It ain't the hitting (Lord knows).

It's the same two things it is every year. No pitching depth/consistency, and the fact that half their games are in a ballpark with triple digit temperatures. If yer gonna play in Texas in July, get Latino players who are more accustomed to the heat than some schmuck from Oregon.

Inkara1

I don't think it's all about the heat in that park... Atlanta isn't known for its chilly weather and yet the Braves' pitching is pretty good... and what about the Marlins? It's hot and really humid in Miami, and yet the Marlins did something even the Braves haven't done... figure out how to win in the playoffs.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
And how many of the Marlins' pitchers are/were Latino?

The temp on the field in Arlington is usually above 110 F at game time in the summer. It wears you out. Witness the summer fade year after year after year.

Inkara1

Dontrelle Willis isn't Latino... and he grew up in the projects in Oakland, where it is decidedly un-hot, meaning he didn't have a lifetime of conditioning to the heat. Kenny Rogers seemed to figure out how to pitch well in Arlington.

If you throw strikes and keep the ball on the ground, you'll have quicker innings and, with them, more frequent trips to the dugout for water. Keep hydrated and the heat's not as big of a factor, especially for athletes that are supposed to be in top physical condition.

Stop Laughing

At least our problem is more obvious. Our current oldest starting pitcher is Rich Hill, 26 years old. Two of those are younger than me. Nuff said.

I wish the NFL preseason went by faster...