Bobby Jindal spending massive tax payer money to fly to church?

spike

Think this is true? If so it's pretty messed up.

By jet, I of course mean helicopter – one funded entirely by taxpayers.

As the Wall of Separation noted last fall, the Louisiana governor spent $180,000 in taxpayer funds during his first eight months in office to travel by a State Police helicopter to many of the same churches he visited while on his campaign trail.

He wasn’t just attending these churches for quiet prayer; he spoke out during the church services, telling the same tale of his conversion to Christianity that he did while campaigning.

Now, according to the Baton Rouge Advocate, Jindal has since spent another $45,000 traveling to even more churches.

“In May, June and July, there was rarely a Sunday when the governor didn’t board a taxpayer-funded helicopter to attend church services in far-flung parts of the state,” the newspaper reported.

Jindal is a devout Roman Catholic yet he is traveling to worship at conservative Protestant churches 200 miles away from his Baton Rouge home. He says he mixes these church visits with meetings with local officials throughout the state and insists these trips have nothing to do with maintaining his gubernatorial seat come next election.

“I’m completely just humbled and honored that I’m asked to come and worship with Louisianians across the state,” he said. “It’s important for the governor to get out of Baton Rouge.”

It may indeed be important for the governor to get out of Baton Rouge, but it’s also important for him to understand the constitutional separation of church and state. Public funds should never fund religion – and that includes Gov. Jindal’s $1,200 helicopter rides to church every Sunday.

Jindal certainly has the right to practice his own faith. But he does not have the right to preach all over the state on the taxpayer’s dime.

It’s also important for Jindal to understand the rules governing tax exemption for religious and other nonprofit institutions. Federal tax law plainly forbids house of worship to engage in partisan politics. If churches are serving as a political base for one candidate, they’re overstepping legal bounds.

We all know that Jindal’s appearances at these churches are as much political as they are religious. And that’s a misuse of religion.

I know the Supreme Court has made it hard for taxpayers to challenge these kinds of abuses in court. And the IRS has sometimes been less than rigorous in enforcing the ban on electioneering at churches and other nonprofits.

But enough is enough, and Louisiana taxpayers should voice their concerns to the governor himself. Surely, if enough people speak out loudly and clearly, Jindal will shut down this personal tax-funded frequent-flyer program.

http://blog.au.org/2009/08/31/frequent-flyer-louisiana-governor-jets-to-church-at-taxpayer-expense/

Seems there might be some confirmation here
http://www.wxvt.com/Global/story.asp?S=11015513&nav=menu1344_2

2minkey

bootlicker
yeah not like he's charging a per diem for "travel" as his voluntary daily commute.

besides, jesus justifies all. if we can't spend money on hokey religion, what good is it?

Professur

Just out of curiosity ... as govn'r, he has to travel in official vehicles, with his security entourage, doesn't he? I think everyone at that level of gov't does. Even when they've left office, they're still constantly tailed by official security, aren't they? I know ex-presidents and their family are. Anyone know for sure?

Cerise

Think this is true? If so it's pretty messed up.

You have a problem with a Governor traveling to different parts of his state meeting with citizens and elected officials who have asked him to come?

Seems there might be some confirmation here

Awesome. You can see that he is actually fulfilling a commitment he made to his constituents.
Jindal said Thursday that he does not seek out congregations to address. He said he visits a church when he receives an invitation. He acknowledged his office sometimes reaches out to a church’s leadership but only when a member of the congregation asks him to visit.

He said the visits give him a chance to talk to citizens.

“I’m completely just humbled and honored that I’m asked to come and worship with Louisianians across the state,” he said. “It’s important for the governor to get out of Baton Rouge.”

He said that at home in Baton Rouge he goes to Mass when possible, refusing to quantify how often. Jindal said he makes a point of attending Catholic services on holy days of obligation.

“I go as frequently as I can,” Jindal said.

Even though he travels on Sundays, Jindal said he schedules meetings with local officials when he flies to church services.

On July 5, for example, his office reported that the governor met with citizens, attended a meeting with local officials and went to church in Monroe. Jindal was back in Monroe four days later to meet with community leaders as part of his “Louisiana Working Tour.”

......State Sen. Joe McPherson, D-Woodworth, said Jindal is the most accessible governor in modern history. He said taxpayers must decide whether the trips are worth their expense.

“He’s reaching out to people who have never had the opportunity to see a governor in person since the electronic age came on,” McPherson said.

McPherson said the trips are beneficial to Jindal’s grass-roots style of politics and to his pledge that he wants to hear what the people have to say.

Let's talk when Bobby takes a Gulfstream to NYC for a date night with the wife. :shrug:

Actually, if you want to really get upset... imagine what it cost to fly Chef Alan Wong from Hawaii to DC and this shopping list for a luau:

• 70 lbs. of hearts of palm, from Wailea Agricultural Group, Big Island of Hawaii

• 35 lbs. of chevre (goat cheese) from Hawaii Island Goat Dairy, Honokaa, Big Island of Hawaii

• 216 lbs. of mushrooms (50% eryngi, 50% hon-shimeji), from Hamakua Mushrooms, Big Island of Hawaii

• 44 lbs. of chocolate, from Waialua Estate Chocolate, Oahu

• 3 gallons of ko choo jang sauce, from Park's Brand, Oahu

• 35 lbs. of white miso, from Maru-Hi, Oahu

• 84 lbs. of macadamia nuts

• 130 lbs. of salted salmon (now we're all but confirming lomi salmon)

• 60 lbs. of pipi kaula

• 4 lbs. of Hawaii-grown chili peppers

2minkey

bootlicker
Just out of curiosity ... as govn'r, he has to travel in official vehicles, with his security entourage, doesn't he? I think everyone at that level of gov't does. Even when they've left office, they're still constantly tailed by official security, aren't they? I know ex-presidents and their family are. Anyone know for sure?

ex-presidents get secret security details but i don't think it extends to others out-of-office.

jindal should be more responsible with the taxpayer money he is spending, though. isn't he supposed to be a fiscal conservative? couldn't he get his churchy stuff done locally? does god really care whether or not he travels a couple hundred miles to fluff the quasi-pagan (ya know with all that wacky rolling around and shit) constituency?

Professur

Are we still talking about rampant misuse of taxpayers bucks, or have we switched to 'But I don't like it" yet?

It doesn't say what he does after church, does it? I mean, it's all nice and fine to go on that he's taking a chopper to church, but what's he doing for the rest of the day? And ... isn't that usually his day off anyhow? Could he possibly be working more than 40 hrs a week? Sure he could jsut go to his local church, get his praying done with and go home .... but he seems to actually want to be out and about talking with the people who voted him in. That it doesn't say what he does after church bothers me. I mean, does he run from the church back into the copter under a screen of security? Does he then go to the local town hall? The Mall? Back to his office?

The article reads like he's only going back and forth from various churches, but it avoids actually coming right out and saying it ... which would be the real dagger in his back. Funny how they didn't go in for the kill.

Mirlyn

More importantly, do these churches have heliports, or are there helicopter spots next to the handicapped spots?

I demand pictures.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Presidents atre the only ones that have lifetime protection.

Most governors travel with a couple of state troopers, that's it.

spike

Jindal seems to use taxpayer money to go to christian churches and talk about christianity. I wonder if he ever goes to any other type of church?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Jindal seems to use taxpayer money to go to christian churches and talk about christianity. I wonder if he ever goes to any other type of church?

That;s between him & the voters of Louisiana.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I discuss FEDERAL politicians.

You notice, I've said little to nothing about Arnie & his piss poor governence, since I no longer live in California.

spike

Oh really?

You've discussed plenty of non-federal politicians from other states. Give it up, I can find plenty of examples.

In fact I just did a search on posts with the word "schwarzenegger" in them by you and came up with something like 29 pages of posts. At 30 posts per page that comes up to about 870 posts.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh really?...look at the topic. Federal overtones.

Yes, I've discussed state officials. Typically, it's either using the story as a thread starter or something that has implications outside their state.