Bought a car today...

Altron

26160090.jpg

Don't act like you're not impressed.

1989 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. Only cost me $1300. I went in thirds with my parents. Well, that's what I told them. I'm holding out until they hit me up for cash.

It's a real smooth ride, and even though I have decided to refer to it as "Das Boot" it is pretty nimble for a 19 foot long 4250 pound car.

It's got RWD, 307cid V8 with the four barrel carb, but two of the barrels are smaller than the other two, because I got the shop manual for it and it had a diagram. That's 5L for you celcuis people. Only rated at 140hp and 255 ft-lbs, but the torque peak is at like 2k RPMs, so it's fast enough for what I do. It also has a trailer hitch. Only 139,000 miles on it, guy who owned it is a retired truck mechanic who took it to Long Island. It's in 9.5/10 condition, real nice.

Comments? Envy? Let it rip.

chcr

Too cute for words
Altron said:
but two of the barrels are smaller than the other two, because I got the shop manual for it and it had a diagram.
All quadrajets are that way (well, except for a few 60's and early 70s HO squarebores). Doesn't seem to make a significant difference in fuel mileage. :D Drive it like there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Hey I got a 93 Shadow ragtop for $1000. Needs a top though.

Cool ride dude. Lot's of horizontal bop room. ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I was beginning to feel inadequate...I mean...if a 16 y/o had a new-ish car before me...and I'm 22...I'd be sad...

Congrats though, it's more than I ever had when I was 16! It's more than I have now! So, for now I am jealous of you. In April/May when I start working and get a new car then it's your turn :D

FluerVanderloo

I got my car at 16 too, for $500. Then I paid for the work on it. It's a V6 but it does awesome on gas. Go figure, it's a Cavalier. It's a little klunker but he's my baby!

car01.jpg

Notice the brighter white of the right front section there....haha it was in an accident before I got it and we had to use housepaint. A new paint job is next on my saving list.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
my friend had an old wagon BEST CAR EVER

fit 9 people, we all chipped in for gas, and went everywhere..i miss that car.

congrats

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Beautiful car!

Not shittin you, I've always loved the old station wagons. Wife won't let me have one. Probably cause I keep calling them love boats or somethin...

Inkara1

Spot said:
only 140hp?
Yes, only 140 hp. American cars hadn't raised their power ratings after the smog crisis of the 70s yet. Chrysler's 5.2 V8 made 170 horsepower until the Magnum tratement in 1992 brought it to 220.

Those big wagons aren't so bad. There's a lot of room for knocking boots in the back of "das boot," and there are a shitload of go-fast goodies available for 307 V8s. You can make a real sleeper out of that thing.

What it really needs is hydraulics. Keep your low-low in a three-wheel stance 'cuz that's how you roll. Three 14-inch rims is running on the side. They riding on the side? Yeah they running on the side.

tonksy

Altron! Dude! I was instantly reminded of the NFL network commercial! You just gotta paint it green with a big yellow G on the side!
*dananana duh duh da dananana duh duh dadadada dadadada...in cars!

greenfreak

Yeah, I didn't have a car at 16 either, congrats! You need to tell us how much it costs you to fill the tank; that's going to be killer if you drive with a lead foot!

My first car was a beat up 82 GMC Jimmy (full size) which also became the transportation of choice for my friends because of the spaciousness. Ah, fun times. Wish I had a picture now although I couldn't imagine wanting one then; it was that ugly.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
there are a shitload of go-fast goodies available for 307 V8s. You can make a real sleeper out of that thing.
That's the Olds 307, not the small block Chevy. Not that much available but I don't think Altron wants it for a hotrod anyway.

Uki Chick

Good luck and congrats! There are days I miss my first car, but then I think of all the trouble I had with it at the end and I'm glad it's gone. Have fun with it, but not too much!

Professur

Chic, there's plenty of room to squeeze a 502 in there. And those wagons are famous for the weight transfer under acceleration. My second car was a Celebrity wagon. Lord knows I'd buy another one tomorrow if they made them.

HomeLAN

Hell, that's a great choice. Sturdy, well kept, and you have a ton of metal around you, which if I remember 16 correctly, you quite possibly will be thankful for someday.

Try to keep it in primo condition, eh?