building a home

tonksy

i want a hobbit hole more than any other house in the world right now. i love the circular hallways...and just think...you'd never have to worry about the paint peeling ever again!

Sharky

Perfect for tropical or sub-tropical climates, jalousie windows are unbeatable for providing excellent ventilation, and the best part is they can be left open without worrying about closing them for every passing thunderstorm.

Are they as popular anywhere else as they are in Florida? My house had them when I bought it, and when I remodeled, I kept them and restored the panes and crank mechanisms to like-new. I love them, they stay open for all weather but the hottest and coldest.

The biggest drawback is that they can't be closed tight enough to seal out drafts, but mild winters are no problem. I like that they let in a little fresh air in the winter, because I have gas heaters.

Inkara1

The crime rate's too high in the cities to allow those things, in addition to their energy-wasting characteristics.

kuulani

Sharky said:
Perfect for tropical or sub-tropical climates, jalousie windows are unbeatable for providing excellent ventilation, and the best part is they can be left open without worrying about closing them for every passing thunderstorm.

Are they as popular anywhere else as they are in Florida? My house had them when I bought it, and when I remodeled, I kept them and restored the panes and crank mechanisms to like-new. I love them, they stay open for all weather but the hottest and coldest.

Jalousies are popular in Hawai'i, I'd say a majority of homes have them here.

Sharky

unclehobart said:
Are those things screened on the inside?... or are we talking mass mosquito ingress.

Yup. Instead of the windows, the skeeters ingress through the sliding glass door, which seems to be perpetually open.

Sharky

kuulani said:
Jalousies are popular in Hawai'i, I'd say a majority of homes have them here.

Makes sense. One home design feature you guys have that I really like is the lanai, which is a terrific idea, but not practical here because of the mosquitos and yellow flies.

I tried to make a covered patio on the side of the house into a lanai of sorts, but it's only (comfortably) usable in the spring and fall because of bugs and humidity. Sometimes we turn the ceiling fans on high and sit out there anyway and drink a beer and sweat and swat flies.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Congratulations Kuu, I have nothing smart to say about building houses other than I'm really happy for you. :)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Sharky said:
Makes sense. One home design feature you guys have that I really like is the lanai, which is a terrific idea, but not practical here because of the mosquitos and yellow flies.

I tried to make a covered patio on the side of the house into a lanai of sorts, but it's only (comfortably) usable in the spring and fall because of bugs and humidity. Sometimes we turn the ceiling fans on high and sit out there anyway and drink a beer and sweat and swat flies.

Just as an idea...try a screen porch, or one of these...;)

kuulani

*wishes for $16 million so I could put in a bid for that house

...that sure makes the BMW on my wishlist affordable!!

kuulani

*update*

the hubby & i were just pre-approved for a loan ... now all we're waiting for is the slow-ass draftsman to finish drawing up our plans so we can bid them out to contractors :D

Professur

You knew that was coming.

Nixy, of course I can build one for $20. Canadian, in fact. Of course, that's not including the shipping and handling.

nalani

Who's drawing up your plans? William does plans as well as all the general contractor stuff .. he's pretty sought-after, but i heard he's expensive ... maybe i can *negotiate* for you :brow: :D