Bus driver refuses to drive bus with gay-themed ads

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
I think if she felt strongly enough about her religious belief, she'd quit the company. It doesn't matter whether she drives a bus with the ad or not. By continuing to work there, she is saying that it's ok to have those signs.

So - perhaps she is saying it's ok to have the signs, but she doesn't want to see them???

rrfield

If I were in charge (btw, I'm not) I would accomodate her under the following conditions: if she were assigned to a bus with the homo ad, she can pay for the adspace for the time she is driving. She can put whatever she wants over the homo's ad. I'd put up a picture of a tossed salad.

Professur

That's frightfully silly. Next you'll say that because I live in Montreal and they have a Gay Pride parade that I support gays too.

Professur

OK, last time. You suggest that she should give up a good job, that she enjoys, because of an ad (for a TV show) on the side of a bus. Now, I don't know about Edmonton, but here in Montreal ... the bus company has no control over those ads. They sold the right to place those ads to an ad company. That ad company accepted the ad, and place it. Even if her employer wanted to refuse the ad, they can't. Quitting her job would achieve ... nothing.

More importantly, she didn't ask that the ad be removed, destroyed, or anything else. She simply went to her boss and told him that she wasn't comfortable "being the vehicle" by which "gay ads" were displayed. The boss made a simple decision to allow her to not associate with the ads. Everyone happy. She wasn't being a rabid anti gay fanatic.

spike

I think the union rep needs to remember who he's representing.

good on the bus company for excercising common sense.

The union is acting much smarter than the bus company. This just opens the door for all the bus drivers to tell the bus company which buses they'll drive instead of the other way around.

Now Jewish drivers don't need to drive a bus with a "Pork, the other white meat" ad on it, Muslim drivers can refuse to drive buses with a Budweiser ad, and any especially uptight religious folk can refuse to drive anything that has an ad with a scantily clad woman on it.

Bus company should have said "drive your bus or we'll hire someone else".

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
OK, last time.
lol... where's the first?
You suggest that she should give up a good job, that she enjoys, because of an ad (for a TV show) on the side of a bus.
But you disclude the meaning behind that - I am saying if she is so against the ad, then just not driving the bus that has the ad is not standing up for her beliefs. It's saying, "I get paid good in this job, so I'll jut tailor this belief to suit my pocketbook" She looks forward when driving - I doubt she has to see the ad all day.
Now, I don't know about Edmonton, but here in Montreal ... the bus company has no control over those ads. They sold the right to place those ads to an ad company. That ad company accepted the ad, and place it. Even if her employer wanted to refuse the ad, they can't. Quitting her job would achieve ... nothing.
I don't know anything about how ads go in the buses here or any where else in the world, but that's got nothing to do with it anyways. Her reason for not wanting to drive the bus is *religious beliefs*. Who cares how they get there - they are still there.

More importantly, she didn't ask that the ad be removed, destroyed, or anything else. She simply went to her boss and told him that she wasn't comfortable "being the vehicle" by which "gay ads" were displayed. The boss made a simple decision to allow her to not associate with the ads. Everyone happy. She wasn't being a rabid anti gay fanatic.
Unfortunately, the article does not tell us how she handled it - for all we know, maybe she was being a rabid anti gay fanatic - and we don't know if her approach to her boss was as simple as that, either. We know she complained about it. We know they accommodated her.

rrfield

I wonder what the reaction would be if it were an athiest bus driver objecting to a christian advertisement.

Wait, no I don't.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I wonder what the reaction would be if it were an athiest bus driver objecting to a christian advertisement.

Wait, no I don't.

Then why'd you wonder out loud?

1. If I was the boss of said employee, and said employee could be accomodated, then said employee would be on a route that didn't display a Christian ad. Simple as that. The only people who would make a big deal out of it are the atheists if no accomodation was possible. You and I both know that...;)

MrBishop

What does that have to do with it?

Lets say that I'm her coworker. I had a nice route, close to home..nice neighborhood to drive through, good people on, no teens, no troublemakers. Oops...I get bumped to a new route half-way across town, two high-schools on route with loud obnoxious kids, and shitty roads to drive on.

Why? Because she didn't want to drive a bus with a gay ad on the side??!? Boo hoo..did the bad old advertising hurt your feelings? Get BACK on your own damn bus, bitch! This is MY route!

*Pardon the drama... if she switched with another worker who didn't mind, that's one thing. but just 'cause she's 'accommodated' doesn't mean that everyone is.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Lets say that I'm her coworker. I had a nice route, close to home..nice neighborhood to drive through, good people on, no teens, no troublemakers. Oops...I get bumped to a new route half-way across town, two high-schools on route with loud obnoxious kids, and shitty roads to drive on.

Why? Because she didn't want to drive a bus with a gay ad on the side??!? Boo hoo..did the bad old advertising hurt your feelings? Get BACK on your own damn bus, bitch! This is MY route!

*Pardon the drama... if she switched with another worker who didn't mind, that's one thing. but just 'cause she's 'accommodated' doesn't mean that everyone is.

From what I understand, she had a choice of several other routes...meaning that no one was put out. Your rant, however, was quite noticable. From what I can see, you'd force the lady to remain on her old route, even though her bus had something on it, or in it, that went against her beliefs. The question is this...if she had been a Muslim complaining about a Christian ad on her bus, would we hear all that ranting you just did from you?

MrBishop

From what I understand, she had a choice of several other routes...meaning that no one was put out. Your rant, however, was quite noticable. From what I can see, you'd force the lady to remain on her old route, even though her bus had something on it, or in it, that went against her beliefs. The question is this...if she had been a Muslim complaining about a Christian ad on her bus, would we hear all that ranting you just did from you?

The point is that she's refusing to do the job given to her based on her beliefs.

What if her next route took her through the gay village, would she switch again? OK.
The route after that has a stop in front of a Planned Parenthood clinic. Switch again? OK.
The route after that goes through a majority black neighbourhood and she feels antsy about that. Switch again? OK.
The one after that goes by a restaurant that her and her ex-husband used to go to all the time and the emotional pain is too much for her. Switch again?

The job is 'drive the bus'...for which she gets a sickening amount of money. Drive the bus. Period, polka dot.

BTW...don't confuse me for a White Knight for the Muslim ideology, that's a straw man argument.

majestyx

not assigning her to any of the 25 buses out of 150 at her garage that carry the ad.
The way that I read that is that she doesn't have to drive a bus with the ad on it. Nowhere does it say that anyone's route changed, just the bus she drives. Or.............did I miss something???? :confused: