But can he pitch?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Texas Rangers name Nolan Ryan team president

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Twenty years later, Nolan Ryan's job is to once again revitalize the Texas Rangers.

The Rangers introduced the Hall of Fame pitcher as team president Wednesday with the fanfare of a major free-agent pickup, just as Ryan was in 1988 when Texas signed the right-hander to help fill seats and bring wins to the struggling franchise.

Only now, the 61-year-old career strikeout leader who set many of his greatest milestones in a Rangers jersey is tasked with doing the same from the front office.

"Another thing in my career that I never anticipated," Ryan said. "You really wonder where baseball and life is going to take you."

Ryan threw an unmatched seven no-hitters and won 324 games in a record 27 major league seasons. The last five of those came with the Rangers and included his final two no-hitters and 5,000th strikeout.

Even at 61, he's probably better than anybody they have.

Inkara1

Much discussion about that at Lone Star Ball. If you're ever looking for me there, you can probably figure out which name is mine. There's another guy there too that posts as blue glove lefty... that's C.J. Wilson, left-handed pitcher. It's pretty cool having an actual member of the team post there. We're pretty sure black glove righty is Brandon McCarthy.