Cake baking conundrum

Professur

Do you have an icing bag or one of those syringes with the fancy tips? Makes the icing look like soft serve. If you really want to go overboard, you might be able to pull off some kind of chocolate dip too. Not to sure about that tho. Mum never tried it.

Professur

Tip from Kat2220: put the frosting in the mixer for a couple of minutes to ship it up lighter. It'll go further, and add less sugar per cone. It'll also lick off more like icecream.

tonksy

Dude...I want this to be way easy...I'm actually thinking of the bundt cake for the sale and making the cones for a Daisy Troop party and letting the girls decorate their own cone.

A.B.Normal

Costco cakes taste like shit...no offense Wade.

I just got off the phone with the lady in charge of the bake sale. It is now a bake sale and not an auction. They would like me to bring a cake or pie but they'll take what they can get. I'll bake either the bundt cake or the ice cream cones and maybe some magic bars wrapped 3 to a package.

I like the Carrot and Black Forest ,but the White cakes ,are well,White cakes and therefor rather bland IMO .Most store bought cakes have an oily texture ,I've found the cakes from work aren't(not that the carrot and BF use that type of icing.)but its what makes the White ckaes better than other store bought IMO.Homemade is still definately the way to go as you can control the ingredients and ensure whats in there in case anyone has special food concerns(not that you'd be familiar with that issue :biker: *it kinda looks like him ,doesn't it)

tonksy

I find the same oily texture in store bought cakes and at the same time the cake itself seems drier- harder crumbs...so oily and dry instead of moist like a homemade or even a boxed mix baked at home.

Professur

Dude...I want this to be way easy...I'm actually thinking of the bundt cake for the sale and making the cones for a Daisy Troop party and letting the girls decorate their own cone.

dudette, if it got any easier than this, it would do the dishes on it's own. If there's more than 20 minutes actually work time involved, you're micromanaging it.

Bundt cake pans have all those annoying ripples to clean.

tonksy

Mine cleans up easy. Anyway, I definitely want to do it for Daisies whether or not I do it for the sale.

kuulani

I have a good recipe for kahlua "cake" ... maybe it's more like a bread since you bake it in one of those loafpans ... kahlua and vodka is part of the recipe. would that do for a school auction?

or am i replying too late anyway and the auction happened already?

tonksy

It's this weekend :D
Feel free to post the recipe but I despise vodka and never have it in the house...how much does it call for? Would one of those minis be enough?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Well, the stuff ain't readily available at my local package store ;)

Get someone to buy it for you at the Class VI...You've probably got some favors still unused.

(The Class VI here at CHS doesn't have it...)

tonksy

Dude, I can't imagine where the closest class VI even is let alone know someone who could shop there.

pretty-kerry

I would like to suggest brownies, slice it to cubes and you may wrap it by colored plastics which will look like square candies. Brownies are quite similar with butterscotch but a lot easier I think.

tonksy

2 year old thread but thanks.

Brownies are a seperate category BTW. I was responsible for a cake. I think I went with a spice cake with a Myers rum glaze.