Can you say...

Cerise

Hamas was attacking Israel, Israel did something about it

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Thursday issued a "last-minute" appeal to Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to reject their Hamas rulers and stop rocket fire at Israel, warning them he would not hesitate to use force.

"But Hamas must be stopped -- that is the way it is going to be. I will not hesitate to use Israel's might to strike Hamas and (Islamic) Jihad. How? I will not go into details now," Olmert said, according to a statement issued by his office.

Olmert has resisted calls within Israel for a major military operation against Hamas, but rocket and mortar fire from the coastal enclave since a six-month truce brokered by Egypt expired last week has increased pressure on him to act.

Hamas source: IDF strike unexpected

A Hamas source in Gaza confirmed Saturday that the Israeli Air Force attack on the Gaza Strip, caught the organization completely off guard. Hamas, said the source, did not believe the IDF would launch a strike on Shabbat.

Travel warning: ISRAEL, THE WEST BANK, AND GAZA

spike

Hamas was attacking Israel, Israel did something about it

And before that Israel attacked Palestinians and before that Palestinians attacked Israelis and before that Israelis attacked Palestinians and before that...

Well at least everything is all solved now. :laugh:

israelgazatb3.jpg

spike

I agree, they should stop fighting and we shouldn't interfere by supplying arms to either of them.

Cerise

Perhaps Israel should do nothing at all and figure out how much more they need to give up to the terrorists to "keep the peace."

:shrug:

(IsraelNN.com) President Shimon Peres said in a statement released to the media Sunday that it is time for the world to understand that Israel has been more than patient in waiting for the people of Gaza to come to their senses.

"The story is simple. Israel has left Gaza completely… The passages were open. Money was sent to Gaza. We suggested aid in many ways – economically, medically and otherwise… Still I have not heard until now a single person who could explain to us reasonably: why are they firing rockets against Israel?"

He added that in planning the current Operation Cast Lead, the IDF had been "true to its principles: namely, to be precise in its targets and careful not to hit civilian life."

He noted that this was a complex problem, because many of the bombs were stored in private houses. "We have contacted the owners of the houses, the people that dwell there, and told them leave it. You can't live with bombs. We have to bring an end to the source of the bombs."

Peres added that Israel has no intention of returning to Gaza. "We left out of our free choice. We have never gone back to the idea of returning to Gaza. It's over," he said. "But we cannot permit that Gaza will become a permanent base of threatening and even killing children and innocent people in Israel for G-d knows why."

The bottom line, he said bluntly, is that anyone in the world who now wishes to ask Israel to stop the shooting, "they have to change the address. Let them turn to Hamas and ask them to stop shooting, and there won't be shooting."

MrBishop

Hamas kept the 6 month cease-fire - Israel did not. Neither did they open the borders, nor release the Palestinian territory they promised to retreat from. Cease-fire ends and the rocket attacks begin anew...killing ONE Isreali. The recent attacks have killed 300+ Palenstinians. ...and there's talk of a ground offensive.

Hell..they're even marching against the offensive in Tel Aviv.
http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3279792,00.html

MrBishop

With all this in mind...Isreal and Palestine will not be at peace anytime soon. I worry more about India/Pakistan right now. As said..they are both nuclear nations with HUGE populations and no love lost between them. The recent terrorist act in india makes for a fine spark for that particular nuclear tinderbox

chcr

Too cute for words
With all this in mind...Isreal and Palestine will not be at peace anytime soon. I worry more about India/Pakistan right now. As said..they are both nuclear nations with HUGE populations and no love lost between them. The recent terrorist act in india makes for a fine spark for that particular nuclear tinderbox

Just to put your mind more at ease (he said sarcastically) I understand that the Pakistani government is also no more than a week to a month from complete insolvency, depending on whose interpretation you read. Wonder how fast they revert to tribal warlords (with nukes) if that happens?

Re the Israel Palestinian deal though, Israel has the military power to place the whole region under their control if they really wanted to. I also wonder how far along that path they'll be allowed to continue before someone outside the region tries to stop them.

As I've said before, do you think anyone realized WWI had already started even six months after some insignificant Austrian leader was assassinated? Unfortunate in the extreme that we refuse to learn from history, isn't it?

nalani

War is hell. Let them finsih the fight, without interference.

That's exactly what my boyfriend said. "Just let them finish this damned thing off, once and for all - it's been going on since before Jesus, geeesuz."

MrBishop

Just to put your mind more at ease (he said sarcastically) I understand that the Pakistani government is also no more than a week to a month from complete insolvency, depending on whose interpretation you read. Wonder how fast they revert to tribal warlords (with nukes) if that happens?
A nice war before that happens would be a nice way to bring it all back under the fold. Whether that'll turn into a civil war first should make for some interesting news.

chcr

Too cute for words
That's exactly what my boyfriend said. "Just let them finish this damned thing off, once and for all - it's been going on since before Jesus, geeesuz."

I think that the real problem is that if it really could be finished it would have been long ago. Kill them all on both sides seems a little harsh to me (besides, where do we stop?) but I don't see anything short of that working.