carpet, or tile?

What's do you like on the bathroom flooring

• carpet

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • tile/linoleum

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

Mare

We have throw rugs down though. Most of our house is tile, couple large area rugs. I hate it. I'm more of a carpet person for the rest of the house, but guess here in florida it's the "style" to have tile floors. The sand here is so fine and tiny, makes for easier cleaning. But i am DEFINETLY a carpet person.

TexasRaceLady

With the exception of the tub/shower area, and the kitchen, I have carpet everywhere. I don't like cold feet in the winter.

catocom

I slit the diff and put down carpet tiles.

carpet does have to be replaced more often, but I like it.

Nixy had said she tought it to be a sanitation problem, but like the rest,
if it's cleaned periodically...???

and with the 24x24" tiles one or all are easily replaced.
I'm not in real good shape, and I did about 20sqFt on a day.
That was having to cut all but one piece.

greenfreak

I've only ever known one person who had a carpeted bathroom. I thought it was great then, but I wouldn't do it now. Yes, because of sanitary reasons and also mold. It would always be on my mind and I have a very sensitive sense of smell. I can smell that kind of damp from a mile away.

We have tile in our bathrooms, hardwood in our bedroom but old and dingy carpet everywhere else. Including the kitchen. What posessed the previous owners to put carpet in the kitchen, I will never know. :sick5:

catocom

yeah I don't want carpet in the kitchen area. It would get nasty, especially around the stove, and dining area.

My grandparents had carpet throughout, but have recently tiled both bathrooms.
I guess they got tired of periodic replacements.

Tile is cheaper in the long run, I just don't like feeling like I'm using the toilet
in a cold cave-like feel.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You already know my answer but I've voted anyway.

I prefer no carpet anywhere, I really like hardwood, but I do like throw rugs by the bed and in the livingroom. That said, I wouldn't choose hardwood in a bathroom because of the sensitivity to water.

But yeah, my feelings against carpets in the bathroom are all the same things Greenie said...mould, mildew, sanitary reasons...I really don't think that carpet can be kept as clean as linoleum or tile...and if it can then it takes ALOT ALOT more work.

BeardofPants

We have tile in the bathroom, and carpet everywhere else ('cept the kitchen which has this ghastly linoleum). It's all coming up at the end of the year though as we have kauri hardwood underneath, so we're gonna expose that.

Inkara1

The current place has vinyl flooring in the kitchen, dining area and entryway, vinyl tiles in the bathroom and "landlord special" low-pile carpet throughout the rest of the place. The place I'm moving to has new vinyl flooring in the kitchen, old vinyl floors in the two bathrooms and "landlord special" brown shag carpeting everywhere else. Both places are rentals so I don't have much freedom in changing the flooring. In the bathrooms, I keep small rugs to keep from having to put feet on cold vinyl, or wet feet on the floor and slip. Those rugs can go in the washer.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
As an ex-floor covering installer, please, for the love of god, please, put down some type of tile. If for nothing else, for the poor bastard floor covering installer that may have to replace it at some point. I know carpet is more comfortable, but you have no idea how nasty it is to have to pull pee stained carpet up from around a toilet. There are also structural reasons, such as carpet will hold moisture and cause the floor to rot out quicker, where vinyl or even ceramic will seal the floor and protect if from the moisture, but that really isn't even close to the top of my list, the first five reasons are this....

1. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet sucks.
2. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet stinks.
3. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet is nasty.
4. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet is digusting.
5. Pulling up nasty pee stained carpet sucks.

TexasRaceLady

I guess I should have said that there was tile around the toilet that my hubby uses. And he gets to clean the floor. LOL

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I guess I should have said that there was tile around the toilet that my hubby uses. And he gets to clean the floor. LOL

So you have tile in the areas normally exposed to water and other liquids...toilet/sink/shower...your bathroom is big enough to have carpet elsewhere in the room?

majestyx

Linoleum in the kitchen/dining, laminate in the living room and hallway, ceramic tile in the bathrooms (with throw rugs) and carpet in the bedrooms.