Changes

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Prof and Inky already know this...but I figured I'd share with the rest of you.

My company is drastically under staffed in their Vancouver and Calgary offices. They've decided to recruit people from Toronto to go to one of the offices for a 6 month interim period while they work on recruiting more people for those offices. They will pay all travel and housing costs for the 6 months, after the six months there may be a chance to do another 6 months on the same terms or a permenant position or the people can come back to Toronto.

Well, I've decided that I want to do the six months, in Calgary, as a minimum. If I like it I'd consider making the move permenant. I expect to find out next week if I'll get to go...but based on my conversation with the HR guy on Friday seems that I have a pretty good chance...he thinks they'd be lucky to have me in Calgary. It'll be a pretty quick turn around once decissions are made. I'm super excite!

Anyway, yeah, just wanted to share. :)

tonksy

Forgive my lack of knowledge of Canadian geography but how far is Calgary from your family?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Calgary is in Alberta...it's the third province west of Ontario. I dunno how far it is...very far.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Middle of nowhere? LOL, right...I'm moving so I'm closer to the middle of nowhere...I'll still be in a city but atleast it'll be a city surrounded by mountains!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Tonks, if I recall correctly, imagine Syracuse NY to Reno NV kinda distance

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh and mapquest is saying 3400km (2100miles) -ish from Toronto to Calgary...but that's going through the states...I can't make it tell me what it is to drive through Canada (which is how I plan to get there).

So, pretty much far enough that to visit one would fly.

tonksy

I see, good for you. Lotsa folks are too afraid of failure to move clear across country. I did it at 19 and never looked back.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I see, good for you. Lotsa folks are too afraid of failure to move clear across country. I did it at 19 and never looked back.

I figure it's the perfect opportunity...if I hate it then I can come back after 6 months and I won't be out anything...infact, I'll be all the richer because I won't have paid any rent for those six months.

Don't be fooled though, I am TERRIFIED!

unclehobart

You would be point blank to Banff. T'would be a mere bus ride to winter paradise. You might also be able to make a trip over to see Wade.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You might also be able to make a trip over to see Wade.

This is true...

*wanders off to see how far Vancouver is from Calgary*

Although, this has all but ruined my plans to head to Prof's cottage...if I get to go, then the rest of the time before I leave will be consumed with preparation...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, so the trip tp Vancouver seems unlikely...it's over 11 hours.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Who are all our Western Canadian members anyway??

There's ABnormal and Spirit...anymore?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It's a good idea, you definitely should do it. The experience will be good and fun, and you'll be perceived a team player and all that rot.

And I believe sbcanada is from Calgary. :lloyd: