Changes

chcr

Too cute for words
So, I have decided to make the move permanent, I told my boss on Wednesday and he literally did a happy dance, we sit down next week to hammer out details.

Cool. I could tell you really like it there. Good for you. :D

Professur

Well, it'll be a longer drive to come to the cottage, but at least I'll have somewhere to park the camper should I choose to drive west.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't really have anywhere you could park a camper...but I definately have somewhere you could get a hot shower and meal. :)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
:hmm: Guess it's time to go off-topic...

Bowie said:
I still don't know what I was waiting for
And my time was running wild
A million dead-end streets
Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse
Of how the others must see the faker
I'm much too fast to take that test

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time

I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence and
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Don't tell t hem to grow up and out of it
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Where's your shame
You've left us up to our necks in it
Time may change me
But you can't trace time

Strange fascination, fascinating me
Changes are taking the pace I'm going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Ch-ch-Changes
Pretty soon you're gonna get a little older
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Glad to hear you've found a place you like being so well. And I am not trying to rain on your parade. Just a bit of advice from an aged veteran if I may.

When I first arrived in Murfreesboro for college, I thought I'd never leave. It was, to borrow your phrase, what I had been missing. The town was big enough to have 98% of everything I wnated/needed, yet small enough that I could get around easily. It was a friendly town with little crime save for on-campus pickpocketry and the like. I loved it.

It wore thin. By the time I moved (against my will) to a borough of Nashvegas, the place was beginning to fill up considerably. A few years later we built a house in a rural setting, and I seldom went to Murfreesboro except for deener or diversion. Three years later I moved back here. For good. As I left, I drove through Murfreesboro for one last look around. I damn near got lost.

Last spring during one of my hellish ordeals at Vandy, Kim and I had to spend Easter weekend in town, so since she had never been we went to Murfreesboro for a looksee at the campus and environs. You couldn't pay me twice my salary to live there now. chcr can validate for me that what once was a 15 minute cross-town commute now takes well over twice that in peak traffic. Kim was aghast that I could have ever been happy in a place that big. It wasn't that big when I got there, guess I drew a crowd...

Point being, enjoy your escapade, and maybe it'll be a lifelong thing. Just know that there really is no place like home. I moved back to a neighboring county to the one I was raised in, and when I grew up here we didn't come to Greene County very often at all, maybe once or twice a year. But it's a local call to my folks' place, so close enough. I fully anticipate that I'll be here when I attain room temperature.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You're right, there is no place like home...but where I grew up has suffered the same fate as what you described for your college town. I was happy to get out of Brampton when I went to school, but mostly because it meant having my own space and being my own person...in my early college years I went home often, almost every weekend, I maintained a life in Brampton. As time wore on though the frequency of my visits lessened, I prefered my mom to come visit me than me go visit her...even after I started working and had my own car I rarely returned to Brampton, other than for a couple hours every few Saturdays to have a meal with my mom. The small city that I grew up in has grown into a fairly large city without increasing its footprint by very much at all, the crime level has increased, people have become jaded and bitter because of both of the above...it seems a lot of the new residents of the city are rude and obnoxious. So, while I accept that in time this may also happen here in Calgary, it has already happened in the area I grew up and I have no desire to return there.

BeardofPants

And some people are happy enough with moving on anyways. I moved away from home, & never looked back (moved from the 'burbs to the CBD).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
As my mom says "That's not home anymore"...she says it about Newfoundland, it's her hometown sure, but it's not her home...it's not where her life is...she actually has no desire to ever return there to live (she left almost 22 years ago).

chcr

Too cute for words
See Thomas Wolfe

I"ve always disagreed with Mr. Wolfe. You can go home again, it just isn't very intelligent to expect that it won't have changed. That said, my home town has barely changed at all in thirty years. They did tear down the feed mill and installed a traffic light. I have to agree with SnP about Murfreesboro, the growth has been staggering. The growth has been pretty good for us though and I still have a field beyond my front yard.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Both points work.

You can't go hame again because your memory is one thing & reality is another. However, home is a relative term.

My hometown is not even in the same league as when I was a kid. I recall the 629,000 population marker going up (barely) & Apache Junction was an old west hotel turned restauant/gas station. Mesa, Tempe & Chandler were bedroom communities.

Inkara1

Paso Robles has grown quite a lot in my lifetime, but the roads haven't grown much. I think, though, that the growth hasn't been os staggering for me because 1) housing prices help limit it a bit, and 2) I've been here, instead of being gone for years and coming back, only seeing the "before" and "after" and none of the in-between.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So, you've never left home. Which makes the Wolfe reference meaningless. :p

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
As for the "You can't go home again" reference...I both agree and disagree.

Ones hometown will always be their hometown, in the sense that you can't change where you grew up. At the same time though, ones hometown is likely to change over time and if you leave and come back it's unlikely to be the same. I am already beginning to see Calgary as "home"...in that sense I can always go "home" and feel at home because where "home" is will constantly change throughout my life...but I know I can never go back to Brampton and have it be like it was when i was growing up, it's different...it's not my home anymore...my childhood home is gone forever.

Inkara1

Well, I did spend a few years in Fresno. I miss Robertito's Taco Shop... but when I was over there, I missed Taco Works tortilla chips and Cattaneo Bros. beef jerky.

BeardofPants

As my mom says "That's not home anymore"...she says it about Newfoundland, it's her hometown sure, but it's not her home...it's not where her life is...she actually has no desire to ever return there to live (she left almost 22 years ago).

Probably it depends on yer personality type, as well. Our plan is to leave NZ in a years time - likely to set up digs in Berlin. We'll see how it goes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well, the cost to move my stuff out here will be covered, my boss is going to talk to our clients who run rental properties to see what kinda sweet apartment he can score me for a reasonable price (out of my pocket this time of course), I am getting a raise this payday coming up and it's going to include a merit raise AND a cost of living raise to reflect Calgary cost of living (I knew I was getting a raise, this is our yearly raise...but I get the impression it'll be higher than it would have been if we didn't finalize this), with a grin from ear to ear he shook my hand and welcomed me to Calgary...I'm home :)