Chess challenge ends in stalemate

HeXp£Øi±

_38361273_kramnikafp300.jpg

ramnik takes $800,000 from the match
Man and machine have taken equal honours in the eight-match Brains in Bahrain chess duel.

World champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia tied 4-4 with the chess computer Deep Fritz.

Kramnik won $800,000 for his part in the tournament, awarded by Bahrain's King Hamad.

For his opponent, publicity for the computer manufacturer Chessbase is the most obvious benefit.
Had Kramnik won, his prize money would have been $1m.

But at least he exceeded the performance of his predecessor as world champion, Garry Kasparov, who in 1997 was defeated by supercomputer Deep Blue in New York.

Fatigue takes over

Kramnik told reporters after the match: "I'm not especially satisfied with the result even though I had more chances to win than the computer."

Deep Fritz, with Black, opened with what the chess champion called a "clever choice" - a Queen's Gambit.
"I was not prepared for this particular line. If you can't catch the computer out of the opening, it's hard to do anything," he said.

By the time Kramnik offered the draw, he had used an hour and a half while Deep Fritz had only used 25 minutes.

He complained of sleeplessness the night before:

"I felt totally exhausted," he said.

Changing fortunes

Kramnik started the tournament by dominating the first few games, winning games two and three, and never appeared in any danger. During early games, Kramnik found a way to exploit the playing style of the computer and frustrated its ability to look ahead and predict which way a match was going.

But then he made an elementary blunder in a difficult position to lose game five.

He then resigned in game six, in a position that some analysts thought was still tenable.

Deep Fritz, a German-developed computer, can evaluate 3.5 million moves per second.

So Kramnik was allowed to practise against it for two weeks before the contest.

The Russian was crowned chess world champion in 2000 when he beat Kasparov, his former tutor, in London.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/2342887.stm

Dave

World champion Vladimir Kramnik of Russia tied 4-4 with the chess computer Deep Fritz

Deep Fritz, a German-developed computer, can evaluate 3.5 million moves per second

i find the fact he WON 4 games to be utterly amazing.
i cant even beat a lousy chess program at the easiest setting....

HeXp£Øi±

The fact that humans can beat man made processors at all shows just how amazing the game of chess is, in that at it's most difficult, it presses the human mind to it's limits. I think that if the game were expanded by one square on both sides and new characters were added, humans simply wouldn't be able to compete. Often people tend to equate a good chess player with intelligence when in fact i think it requires memory over anything.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I once put the computer in check on a lousy program, but that's as close as I've gotten.