Chips

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm lost on the ketchup thing ?( tomato sauce for me is a foundation for spaghetti sauce

unclehobart

Ketchup is also the base for a good deal of BBQ sauces in the states... and that is quite a common flavor for crisps down here.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Nix
Les: I also like All Dressed. The Works is better though.
I haven't got up the nerve for the Works yet lol after the pizza chips fiasco I'm sticking with what I know. :D

ris

leslie is pretty much right:

crisps here are chips in the us, but chips here are a little different from the us french fry. they are much larger and less crispy.

i have heard the uk thing of fish'n'chips did go through a spell of being haute cuisine in new york, but i think the novelty wore off and fries came back into fashion.

do you guys go in for mayonnaise on chips/fries like they do on the european continent?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
most people like ketchup on their fries, I like mustard:shrug:

it looks like fries are machine cut & "chips" are handcut

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
me, no, I'm trying not to vomit at the thought :eek: , but hubby is sitting here and says he likes it. Mayonnaise mixed with relish on battered fish is good as a substitute for tartar sauce in a pinch though:)

Q

I love dipping my fries in mayo and potato chips are delightful dipped in green goddess dressing.

K62

No ketchup chips in the states??!? i didnt know that, well yer all missin out :p
damn Yanks!! :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by *Q*
I love dipping my fries in mayo and potato chips are delightful dipped in green goddess dressing.
Haven't heard before of green goddess dressing, is it a recipe or a brand name?

Q

It's made by Kraft. It's kind of a funky green color, but it's really good. It's really salad dressing, but I figure you can dip chips in whatever ya want :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Thanks, I'll look when I'm next at the store. Hasn't been the season here for cold salad, haven't been to the dressings aisle in awhile lol

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Originally posted by L. Summerton
Thanks, I'll look when I'm next at the store. Hasn't been the season here for cold salad, haven't been to the dressings aisle in awhile lol

Season for cold salad ?(

As opposed to hot salad ?(

California & Brazil ship year 'round now, tis always salad time ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Winter=no salad for me :D - I can't speak for all Canadians, lettuce is sold here during the winter, but in the main, I don't do cold salad in the winter, when you come in from -32c you don't want to eat anything cold. So we (my family we and lots of others we know) really only eat salad in the spring, summer, fall. To boot, non-seasonal vegetables are costly, so it makes financial sense too.

There are lots of hot salads to make, german potato for one, mainly though just hot vegetables canned, frozen, fresh mostly root.