Clean up your own backyard first

jimpeel

It seems that 1 in every 50 DC residents has HIV. Maybe politicians should concentrate on their own backyard before they make all of these declarations about third world countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/u...en=b0d1fb1313260747&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Report Finds Washington Has Highest AIDS Infection Rate Among U.S. Cities

By IAN URBINA
Published: November 27, 2007

WASHINGTON, Nov. 26 — The District of Columbia has the highest rate of AIDS infection of any city in the country and the disease is being transmitted to infants, older adults, women and heterosexual men at an epidemic pace, according to a report released Monday by city health officials.

AIDSFull.gif

The report said more than 12,400 people in the city — about 1 in 50 — are living with AIDS or H.I.V., the virus that causes AIDS.

“H.I.V./AIDS in the district has become a modern epidemic with complexities and challenges that continue to threaten the lives and well-being of far too many residents,” said the report, which includes the first-ever study of statistics on H.I.V. in the city, along with updated data on AIDS cases. The H.I.V. data offers a vital snapshot of the most recent infections so health officials can study any changes in transmission patterns, the officials said.

The report said that from 2001 to 2006, 56 children, ages 13 or younger, were found to have either H.I.V. or AIDS, and almost all of them were infected at birth.

These cases, which account for 6 percent of all mother-to-child H.I.V. infections in the nation in the last five years, were especially alarming, city officials said, because they could have been avoided with routine H.I.V. testing during pregnancy, quick-results oral swabs during labor and “fast tracking” of the anti-retroviral drugs that can prevent transmission during delivery.

Although black residents account for 57 percent of the city’s population of 500,000 or so, they account for 81 percent of new reports of H.I.V. cases and about 86 percent of people with AIDS.

While the report found 8,368 reported cases of people living with AIDS in the district at the end of last year, a 43 percent increase from 2001, it also found that the number of new H.I.V. cases began declining in 2003. City health officials say the drop in H.I.V. numbers was most likely a result of under-reporting or delayed reporting.

<more>

chcr

Too cute for words
It seems that 1 in every 50 DC residents has HIV. Maybe politicians should concentrate on their own backyard before they make all of these declarations about third world countries.

There's a novel idea, huh? Far from doing anything about it, they won't even admit it's a problem.

markjs

Banned
Well most importantly we MUST teach the teenagers ABSTINENCE ONLY, because as we all know teens usually do as they are told and rarely rebel. And they should NEVER have easy access to condoms because we all know that is tantamount to telling them we want them to go have as much sex as is possible immediately!

Abstinence only programs are right for our kids!

Besides any teen that has sex before they are married deserves AIDS at least, hell we really ought to stone them in the public square!

Sheeeit dawg, I'd say it's a no brainer!

BushIdiot.jpg

bush.jpg

Bush%2520confused%25202.1_a.jpg

Kind of makes ya proud to be 'merican don't it?

:usa:

Professur

I think it's wonderful that a person's character can be completely judged by several out of context snap shots. I suppose that everyone automatically checks for lens caps when they're handed a pair of binocs. I somehow have my doubts that they're his.

chcr

Too cute for words
I think it's wonderful that a person's character can be completely judged by several out of context snap shots. I suppose that everyone automatically checks for lens caps when they're handed a pair of binocs. I somehow have my doubts that they're his.

OTOH Prof, he was clearly handed both the book and the binoculars specifically for photo ops, in other words, he should have clearly understood that as such they would be plastered all over the media. Not the kind of person who is very good at thinking things through, IMO.

Actually, it's a little unbelievable that there wasn't someone, standing just out of shot, whose job it was to make certain that such things don't happen. In my experience, competence is accumulative.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
OTOH Prof, he was clearly handed both the book and the binoculars specifically for photo ops, in other words, he should have clearly understood that as such they would be plastered all over the media. Not the kind of person who is very good at thinking things through, IMO.

Actually, it's a little unbelievable that there wasn't someone, standing just out of shot, whose job it was to make certain that such things don't happen. In my experience, competence is accumulative.

I believe the book was photoshopped in upside down, and the binoculars where handed to him, and he just grabed them looked for a split second (the photo was snapped) and them took off the caps. If one wants to think he is an idiot base it on his record.

catocom

This president picked the wrong personal Cabinet Adviser, in the 2nd term at least.
That in turn made him pick Many wrong people for positions, and has hurt All of us greatly, in many areas.
How much difference would if have made had the right people been in the right places?
I don't know, but I'm sure it would have been at least a little bit.

Every since Colin Powell got out, it's been steadily going down hill.

Professur

Y'see, this is why I like a good old fashioned monarchy. You hold your position for life, not 4 years. Screwing up is not an option. Neither is retiring with a lifetime pension after 4 years. You leave feet first. And your successor's first task is to clean up the mess you made ..... on the floor. Really stupid people don't stick around long.

BlurOfSerenity

makes me glad we marylanders DIDN'T take back our bit like virginny did...

nothing against people with hiv, just... i don't want it! baltimore has a fucking high murder rate, don't want the high hiv rate, too!

jimpeel

Maybe you should read the sources of those pics before you post them. BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/lcraigschoonmaker/

The expansionist party? Maybe he should stick to making schoons.

-------------------------

http://www.u-blog.net/artemus/img

Dead link. The screen says:

L'aventure blog est terminée.
Nous vous donnons rendez-vous désormais sur Vox, plateforme communautaire de blogs gratuits, ou TypePad, service de blogs pour les professionnels et passionnés.

Which, loosely translated, means:

The adventure blog is complete.
We invite you to come now on Vox, community platform of free blogs, or TypePad, blogging service for professionals and enthusiasts.

-----------------

http://www.thetalentshow.org/

Now THERE'S a serious site fer ya! Left wing drivel.

jimpeel

You really do need to verify your sources.

BushIdiot.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushbook.asp

FALSE. Picture was photoshopped. Click on the above link to see the original and how the image in the falsified photo -- YOUR photo -- is mirror imaged.

bush.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/binoculars.asp

Go to the above link to see the true story, not just the one you prefer to bandy about.

While you are there, take a hard look at you hero, Bill Clinton, doing the same thing.

jimpeel

Unless. of course, the photo was photoshopped as the one with the book clearly has been. Go to http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/bushbook.asp and see the detail shot of how the image on the cover of the book in Bush's hands is mirror imaged from that held by the student. There is also a copy of the original image as well.

markjs

Banned
Bush is an idiot all the same, and besides you totally missed the point that sex education, the comprehensive kind, and access to condoms, are what will help the issue. Bush's hairbrained "abstinence only" education only compounds the problem and that's been proven.

The pictures were just silliness, but I don't figure jimpeel that you would believe anything that doesn't paint Bush in a good light.

As for Clinton, if he was such a lousy president then why did 65% of America approve of the job he had done when he left office? I know that doesn't fit into your distorted view of things but that's more popular than Ronald Reagan at the end of his term. Not too bad considering he was impeached....

jimpeel

Bush is an idiot all the same, and besides you totally missed the point that sex education, the comprehensive kind, and access to condoms, are what will help the issue. Bush's hairbrained "abstinence only" education only compounds the problem and that's been proven.

Abstinence is the only proven way of preventing STDs and pregnancy 100% of the time.

The pictures were just silliness, but I don't figure jimpeel that you would believe anything that doesn't paint Bush in a good light.

There are many things I don't like about Bush but I don't take those few dislikes and ramp them into a total dislike for everything he does like the radical zealots who worship at the leftist trough.

As for Clinton, if he was such a lousy president then why did 65% of America approve of the job he had done when he left office? I know that doesn't fit into your distorted view of things but that's more popular than Ronald Reagan at the end of his term. Not too bad considering he was impeached....

Clinton was a sexual predator who took advantage of his subordinates. If what he did was so nice, then tell your wife that you are going to seduce one of your subordinates at work into giving you blow jobs. After all, it isn't really sex, now, is it?

What did the world stage think of his antics?

libertyclinton.jpg

An actual float in a German parade.

markjs

Banned
Abstinence is the only proven way of preventing STDs and pregnancy 100% of the time.

So we should just leave kids ignorant to everything else? Bullshit, they need ALL the facts, and access to preventitive measures if they decide to have sex. Abstinence only doesn't work, that has been proven, and no amout of you ignorance or denial of the facts will change them.

jimpeel

So we should just leave kids ignorant to everything else? Bullshit, they need ALL the facts, and access to preventitive measures if they decide to have sex. Abstinence only doesn't work, that has been proven, and no amout of you ignorance or denial of the facts will change them.

So your argument is that since they are going to have sex anyway, we should give them the tools to have sex responsibly. That is the correct way to deal with something they are going to do anyway despite our best counsel to the contrary.

So why not include a pack of cigarettes with every package of condoms? After all, they are going to smoke anyway "and no amout of you [sic] ignorance or denial of the facts will change them". We should simply teach them to smoke responsibly. Don't you think that is the correct way to deal with something they are going to do anyway despite our best counsel to the contrary?

Why not hand out booze to the kids as well. After all, they are going to drink anyway "and no amout of you [sic] ignorance or denial of the facts will change them". We should simply teach them to drink responsibly. Don't you think that is the correct way to deal with something they are going to do anyway despite our best counsel to the contrary?

How about drugs? Why not hand out drugs to the kids as well. After all, they are going to get high anyway "and no amout of you [sic] ignorance or denial of the facts will change them". We should simply teach them to get high responsibly. Don't you think that is the correct way to deal with something they are going to do anyway despite our best counsel to the contrary?

Alcohol deterrent programs, smoking aversion programs, and drug education programs have all been a failure as the kids simply do those things anyway despite our best counsel to the contrary. Your answer will be "ALL of those programs are based on abstinence." Quite so. That is a fact. So why don't we simply try your approach and give them the tools to do these things responsibly since they are going to do them anyway?

We have had sex education since the sixties and the result was an increase in unwed births. Drug aversion has been a failure and we have seen an increase in drug use. Quite so with drinking as well. The only thing that has decreased is smoking; but that is because tobacco products have been priced out of the range of smokers of all ages and those who do smoke already are getting tired of being treated as second class citizens.

So, by all means, let's try it your way and to hell with these programs which teach abstinence. C'mon kids, have a drink; put on those condoms; fuck like minks; and have a smoke afterward; but above all else DO THESE THINGS RESPONSIBLY!