Cold or make ahead appetizers

tonksy

So I need an appealing appetizer that can be made ahead of time and served cold or heats up quickly.
I have a new neighbor meet and greet on Saturday but have obligated myself to take the girls swimming with their friends early that day and will be hard pressed to do the turn around.
Any ideas?

I was contemplating making these:

CHERRY TOMATOES STUFFED WITH SPANISH OLIVE TAPENADE

For the tapenade:
1/2 cup Spanish olives with pimento
1 1/2 teaspoons drained capers
1 teaspoon brandy, preferably a Spanish brandy such as Solera Gran Reserva
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
32 small cherry tomatoes
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Make the tapenade: in a food processor, pulse the olives until chopped fine. Add the remaining tapenade ingredients and pulse until olives are minced.
With a sharp knife, slice the stem end (1/4-inch down) and the bottom (1/8-inch up) from each tomato and discard. Using a 1/4 teaspoon, remove the juice and seeds from each tomato half, leaving the outside shell intact. Spoon a generous 1/4 teaspoon of the tapenade into each shell and garnish with the parsley.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Sardines and Cheese Whiz on Captain's Wafers?

Hey, with enough Old Milwaukee...

Seriously, I'll check me recipes when I get home. I prolly got somethin or t'other.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I went through my entire recipe box, and didn't find anything I thought you'd want to use. I got over a dozen cookbooks, but not knowing tastes of the crowd I'd be hesitant to recommend much.

BlurOfSerenity

finger sandwiches are always a possibility!
the foodnetwork.com might have ideas.
undeadexploder suggests bacon-wrapped shrimp, but i don't know what that entails precisely. shrimp cocktail maybe?
(id go with the finger sammiches were it me)
ooh, or crock-pot swedish meatie-balls!

BlurOfSerenity

undeadexploder also suggests doing something like what you posted, but filling mushroom caps with the tapenade instead of tomatoes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Toasted pita wedges and spinich dip!

Toasting the pita wedges shouldn't take too long (they don't need to be hot when served, but i wouldn't toast them more than 30min or so before going).

tonksy

finger sandwiches are always a possibility!
the foodnetwork.com might have ideas.
undeadexploder suggests bacon-wrapped shrimp, but i don't know what that entails precisely. shrimp cocktail maybe?
(id go with the finger sammiches were it me)
ooh, or crock-pot swedish meatie-balls!
I am allergic to shrimp...:eh:

undeadexploder also suggests doing something like what you posted, but filling mushroom caps with the tapenade instead of tomatoes.
I thought about that but mushrooms weep when they cool.

Toasted pita wedges and spinich dip!

Toasting the pita wedges shouldn't take too long (they don't need to be hot when served, but i wouldn't toast them more than 30min or so before going).

I thought about that too...and maybe a hummus to go with it. That's a good possibility.

I just wanna do something different than the expected. Go figure.

BeardofPants

That's a shame. :(
When I was in Vienna recently, they had these gorgeous canapes. They were kinda like lil' mini sammiches with gourmet shit on them ('cept there was only the one lil' slice of bread, and it had stuff on top like salmon spread).

Aunty Em

Hummous with veg crudites

2 tbsps olive oil
2 tbsps tahini (ground sesame seeds)
1 can chick peas
juice of one lemon
2 cloves crushed and chopped garlic (more if you like)
paprika or chilli powder to garnish

strips of pepper, celery, carrots, etc (whatever you like) for crudites

Put everything except the paprika or chilli powder in a blender and blend until soft and smooth(add a little more oil if necessary). I like mine fairly firm so it stays on the crudites. Leave covered in a fridge over night (allows the flavour to develop). Serve sprinkled with paprika or chilli and the crudites. You can add salt if you like, but I'm on a low salt diet so I don't.

A nice healthy party food. You can also use toasted pitta bread, tortilla chips or bread sticks if you don't like veg. :licklips:

tonksy

Tonight I am trying a brie dish for bunco. A wheel of brie is topped with a hot bubbling butter honey walnut mixture. The recipe says to serve with apples but I think I am going to use water crackers...unless I get to the store again.