Cold or make ahead appetizers

Aunty Em

Tonight I am trying a brie dish for bunco. A wheel of brie is topped with a hot bubbling butter honey walnut mixture. The recipe says to serve with apples but I think I am going to use water crackers...unless I get to the store again.

Sounds nice, but lethal to me and my figure... LOL

Aunty Em

Indeed but it will be divvied out among 20 or so other women so that should help.

True, but I'm intolerant of cow's milk and sugar (including honey) is too concentrated a source of glucose for me and causes me to go hypo, so I don't eat it. My sister used to do the same and so does my mum. I stick to complex carbs or fruit as much as possible because they're slow release and don't have the same effect.

tonksy

It was reaaaally frigging good! I used a whole wheel of brie and all that was left when I left was enough for me to have 3 cracker's worth for breakfast.

tonksy

Like...OMG...I am amazed!

So that last time I was at my secondary bunco group (this is the one where we don't have to bring food, just money) the hostess had some yummy truffles out and we were all snacking on them and I asked where they had came from as my other friend was curious but being shy. The woman said she had made them and proceded to tell me how easy there were to make because they were made from 3 ingredients: Oreos, cream cheese and good quality chocolate morsels Whoa! I was amazed. I came home and googled the recipe and there are indeed only those 3 ingredients.
I made them tonight to bag up and sell at the school's Octoberfest bake sale and it was super easy (I used bittersweet chocolate morsels 'cause I'm like that).
You should try it when wanting some little chocolate-y bits. They taste nothing like Oreos!

1 pkg. (1 lb., 2 oz.) OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

2 pkg. (8 oz. each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

CRUSH 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter.

DIP balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.

REFRIGERATE until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

Stop Laughing

Seeing as how I am to cooking as McDonald's is to gourmet, here's an easy and surprisingly tasty appetizer. Mix one of those tubs of pork (Lloyd's or similar, I think), salsa and cheese (salsa con queso is what I usually do), and heat up and serve on top of tortilla chips. Very tasty! Got the idea from a Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ (yes, same as the sauce in stores) restaurant around here, their Pulled Pork Nacho appetizer is outstanding.