comp help

unclehobart

I'm cleaning out old junky files from my comp to make space. I found a piece of hooey called config.sys. Should I delete it?

unclehobart

I also found a folder that seemed to take up lots of space that I never used called Program Files. I deleted it and now nothing seems to work.

PostCode

Major contributor!
C:\Documnets and Settings/<username>/Local Settings/Temp

You would be suprised at all the crap that accumulates in there.

unclehobart

Things have started to go buggy on me... so I've decided to cover my comp case with my collection of lucky fridge magnets. That should straighten it up. If that doesnt work I plan on rubbing a staticy ballon over my mobo.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Yep. That's where 2K and XP dump all the temp crap. 98 puts it in c:\windows\temp, which 2K also has a similar directory as well, c:\winnt\temp, but not much gets dumped in there. I wish these programers would get their shit together and learn to clean up aftet themselves.

unclehobart

McAffee Quickclean finds tons of stuff ... but missed all of that temp crud. It was full of old memories. I even found a pic of Fi with the Groucho glasses.

HeXp£Øi±

Sounds like you're having a problem. Better delete stuff and see if that fixes it. Get rid of io.sys and command.com as well. No thank yous needed.

unclehobart

Im not having any real problems. I just felt like orchestrating a big funny ha ha in the terms of those 'Computer tech help disaster stories' that we all read about. Stuff like the dipwad who couldnt understand why his comp wouldnt work in a blackout... and the other guy who thought the CD tray was a cup holder.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I read one about a Help Desk tech who tried to 2 hours to sort out a guys fax problem and finally realized the guy was holding the page up to the monitor instead of putting it in the scanner...

Aunty Em

unclehobart said:
McAffee Quickclean finds tons of stuff ... but missed all of that temp crud. It was full of old memories. I even found a pic of Fi with the Groucho glasses.

Ashampoo Winoptimiser - streets ahead of McAffee.

Regcleaner - still around and doing fine.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PostCode said:
C:\Documnets and Settings/<username>/Local Settings/Temp

You would be suprised at all the crap that accumulates in there.
:confuse3:

I'm a little afraid, what exactly can I delete out of there?