Comp Upgrade

Aunty Em

I have finally come to a decision on what I'm going to get.

I've decided on 2 stages about I month apart:

First stage:

400W switching PSU
Abit KD7-E mobo because it supports 200/266/333MHz processors and has USB 2 onboard.
256MB crucial 2700 DDR - I found the UK site and discovered that direct from them the memory is £20 cheaper. :)
Plus heatsink and fan - possibly a globalwin FSP82 rated to 2700+ which pushes 38.9cfm @ 32 DB I'm still looking on this one

2nd stage:

AMD Thoroughbred 2400+/2600+ CPU depending on price when I buy
Possibly another 256MB crucial 2700 DDR

I will run my 1 GHz TBird on the board until I get the XP. After that I will see about adding a second HDD and upgrading my operating system and maybe dual booting with Lynux so I can learn to use MySQL.

S

s4

I installed Lycoris LX Desktop today. It's very xp like but not quite as good.

Aunty Em

HomeLAN said:
Very nice. I'm assuming you don't game, so that the video card isn't a real issue?

No I don't game, I suck 'cos I don't have the time to get good at it and I get vertigo when I try to play anything fast and furious so I gave up trying.:(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've heard alot of people say that, especially when it come to the intense fps or driving games. I've been fortunate never to have that problem. Something I've noticed alot is that most people that experience vertigo on a computer also have motion sickness while driving. Is this the case?

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
I've heard alot of people say that, especially when it come to the intense fps or driving games. I've been fortunate never to have that problem. Something I've noticed alot is that most people that experience vertigo on a computer also have motion sickness while driving. Is this the case?

Yes, that's why I drive myself and I'm never a passenger unless absolutely unavoidable because I don't get it when I'm driving. Doesn't happen on a motorbike though, but I've never ridden pillion. Weird! I've also suffered from a condition called paroxismal positional vertigo. Apparently only 30% of sufferers get it more than once - I've had it twice so I'm praying I won't get again! It's horrible, the room spins all the time and it's worst when you lie down and you feel sooooooo sick..... Urrgh! I have tablets now for the next attack - if there is one...

It's to do with the little stones in the semi-circular canals in the inner ear - that govern balance ... they cause a blockage for some reason... I really wasn't in any fit state at the time to really take much notice of the explanation the doctor gave me.

HomeLAN

I've got the same deal, Aunty Em. I just don't play FPS games. I play third person role playing and strategy games.

Some of those third person jobs will eat system resources with the worst FPS.

Aunty Em

HomeLAN said:
I've got the same deal, Aunty Em. I just don't play FPS games. I play third person role playing and strategy games.

Some of those third person jobs will eat system resources with the worst FPS.

I do actually have some games: RAMA, Half-Life, Tomb Raider II & III, Wing Commander Prophecy, Azreal's Tear, Alpha Centauri, T-Mek, the old star Trek games and some original Star Wars games - X-wing & Tie Fighter, but I just don't get time to play them so I keep getting killed off. Plus some arcade style games that came with my Geforce 2 card - Battlezone & Incoming.

Oddly enough I also have Trickstyle which doesn't affect my equalibrium in the same way. I've downloaded the Farscape demo though and it seems very easy to play so I might just get the full game when it's out. :)

Hmmm, seems to be a preponderance of SciFi here........LOL