compound bows

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
PT, im looking at buying a new bow next year. I have always used proline bows and loved them. I found out that darton bought them out and am not sure i would buy one now. I owned a darton as my very forst bow and hated it.

Problems i have now, is i cant have a real heavy poundage. Bad shoulder has made it so that i cant draw it back anymore. I used to shoot 65-70 lb.
I have always shot alum. shafted arrows, and zwicky broadheads.
I havent been able to shoot for about 3 years now so im outta the loop on the newest bows and their advantages now.
I did buy the boys both the matthews genisis bows. Seems like a very nice bow. not bad priced for a growth bow.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
If you're looking at new I'd have to push you towards High Country. I don't own one myself but both my bro-in-law and my father-in-law do. These thing weigh in at 2.3 pounds net weight. For long hunting trips or even a semi long walk to the stand, that means a big deal. They certainly don't lose anything in their power for that weight either, as both shoot well over 300 fps.

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/bow_triplelite.htm << That's a nice one that only shoots up to #50, but has a pretty short draw length max too. You can always get an extra inch with a string loop though. And with an 80% let off on #50 you're looking at holding 10 lbs fully drawn.

http://www.highcountryarchery.com/bow_prefxcarb.htm

PT

My bow has a 75% let off. It's a Storm by Merlin. Haven't found much about it online. But I am planning on upgrading to the High Country, most likely the Carbon 4-Runner. but not until after deer season ends the 15th of January.

PT

Oh and arrows and broadheads.

The best arrows I've found, and I'll admit I quit looking when I found them, but anyway are the Gold-Tip. I use the traditional hunters, but any of them are pretty good. The are mostly carbons, but they don't seem to be as brittle as some that I've tried.

Broadheads I use Montec's G-5's. They are easily resharpened, and they will blow through anything you shoot at. I've heard of these things making clean pass-throughs of both shoulder blades with little damage to the broadhead itself.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
the shoulder problem is from the heavy poundage. JUst too much for too long.

I used to shoot a shaft called x-caliber was a fluted shaft. awsome. havent seen them in years though. the carbon look nice but the brittle part scares me. sounds like the g-5 are similiar to the zwicky blades. very nice and can sharpen whenever you need to.

how does the alpine and mathews compare to the high country? also how is the split limb compared to the solid?

PT

Never had the pleasure of holding a Matthews. I've heard they're pretty nice. The split limbs seem to be mostly just for weight reduction. The Storm I use has them too, they really don't seem to affect power much, if anything they help. I don't mean to scare you on the brittle part, under normal conditions, that is target shooting and hunting you won't have a problem. However, hit a tree or rock with one and you won't be recovering your arrow. I've shot mine into the backstop at the range (two layers of 3/4" plywood) several times and didn't hurt them a bit.

The Alpine bows are nice too. I guess the only thing I'd recommend is going to a Pro shop when you decide to buy. Bass Pro is good on price, but if you get someone that really knows what they're doing setting up the bow, you got lucky. You will pay a little more at a pro shop but I really feel that's one area that it's well worth it. A decent pro shop will help you fine-tune for no extra charge. Also, go to as many stores as you can and hold the bows. To me the way a bow feels in my hands is just as important as the brand.

Oooh, something else new in the past couple years is the Whisker Biscuit. Get a WB2, with the quick shot. You will thank me for this.

Professur

I've seen then. How do they compare with the drop-rests?

Sam, a simple rule. If they won't let you shoot it, don't buy it.

PT

Professur said:
I've seen then. How do they compare with the drop-rests?
I love it. They had a few problems with the first generation, they were tearing the fletchings off of the arrows after about 10-15 shots. But the 2nd model is softer bristles, and your arrow just will not fall off the rest. A pretty big deal when you've got that 12 pt getting in range. They do have to be tuned, if you mount it yourself then watch your arrow flight, if it's not mounted perfectly level your arrow will fishtail.

Sam, a simple rule. If they won't let you shoot it, don't buy it.
That's not a bad rule, but some of the pro-shops won't have any rests, sights, or anything else on the bows. If you've got a real good one they will throw something on for you to try it out, but that doesn't mean that's how it's going to feel when you put your choice of sights, rests, etc on.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Wimps. All a ya. A real man uses a 60# recurve bow. You can stick with your 'laser sights' and 'rocket-assisted' arrows all ya like. :p

PT

I just started shooting a recurve a few weeks ago. Still using one of my FiL's old ones, nothing special. It's funny though, probably shot about 100 arrows one saturday, woke up sunday feeling like someone beat the piss out of my right shoulder in the night. It definitely takes some getting used to. I do alright now though, out of every ten arrows, about seven or eight hit the target at 20 yards. Don't think I'm ready to go hunting yet. With my compound I can put six arrows in a two inch group at 20 yards.

Professur

I find that with the recurve, form is everything. If I don't hit the exact same spot on my jaw every single time, I'm out in the black. The compounds, 'xpecially with a peep, you could practically hold sideways and still find red.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
I find that with the recurve, form is everything. If I don't hit the exact same spot on my jaw every single time, I'm out in the black. The compounds, 'xpecially with a peep, you could practically hold sideways and still find red.

*Laser sight...:D

Anyway...Just like a rifle, you draw your bow back to the same spot with a recurve..exactly as you stated. Once you get used to it, you'll find that you get more enjoyment with the added hassle.

Professur

Not really. Wearing a full beard means you don't feel that spot. I had to find a dent in my jawline to home in on. Even then, slightly turning your head more than the last time means a neat group somewhere in the blues.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Not really. Wearing a full beard means you don't feel that spot. I had to find a dent in my jawline to home in on. Even then, slightly turning your head more than the last time means a neat group somewhere in the blues.

I used to use my mouth as a guide. Draw back until your middle finger touches the edge where your lips meet...Worked pretty well...but you probably use a release, dontcha? :D I still like the old leather gloves, myself...

Professur

Nope, bare hand as a matter of fact. They gave us a leather finger protector with the start up kit, but after 3 sets, I stuck it in my pocket as more hassle than use. We did Scandinavian (corner of the mouth) and have since moved on to dynamic modified Scandinavian, where you find a confortable spot on your jawline, and release by pulling slightly further back until the string slips from your fingertips.

When I go to compound, I'll try releases. Who knows. I probably won't like them either.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
Nope, bare hand as a matter of fact. They gave us a leather finger protector with the start up kit, but after 3 sets, I stuck it in my pocket as more hassle than use. We did Scandinavian (corner of the mouth) and have since moved on to dynamic modified Scandinavian, where you find a confortable spot on your jawline, and release by pulling slightly further back until the string slips from your fingertips.

When I go to compound, I'll try releases. Who knows. I probably won't like them either.

Gloves do take some getting used to, but you're also still dealing with a light pull. Once you get up in range, you'll wish you kept up with the glove until it got comfortable.
Hold on a sec...Have you tried tabs?