compound bows

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
paul_valaru said:
mmm that is good eating....

[CYA] hunting is wrong[/CYA]
Twas indeed, had our first pot of Chili tonight. Mmmm.....

[CYA]Not that I'd kill for food, that would just be silly[/CYA]

Wait a minute, my wife helped me skin the damn thing.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
PT said:
Twas indeed, had our first pot of Chili tonight. Mmmm.....

[CYA]Not that I'd kill for food, that would just be silly[/CYA]

Wait a minute, my wife helped me skin the damn thing.

I have no problem with hunting for food...

ok I have no problem with OTHERS hunting for food, I will stick to grocery stores.

hunitng for sport....is in other threads all over the place

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
PT did you score him?

Gato, it is an 8 point. That's good enough for anyone to shoot.

I know. I'm just ribbing him, and I'm sure he knows it.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Professur said:
I make it a point not to irritate heavily armed folk.

If he can hit me from there, I deserve to get shot. :D

By the by, PT. How high was your stand, and did you bait with apples, or corn?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
9 pointer technically. It was a little one, but it was there. Dressed and in the freezer I'd say I've got about 90 lbs of meat out of that one.
PT did you score him?
Nope, if I ever shoot the Monster 14 pointer I've seen a few times, I'll probably score him.

By the by, PT. How high was your stand, and did you bait with apples, or corn?
About 20' off the ground. And I don't bait. I feed occasionally, but baiting is illegal. ;)

It was really quite the amazing day. If you're not into hunting you should probably stop here, but, if you are, read on. Got to my stand at about 2 in the afternoon. It was cold. Not as cold as today, but upper 30's, lower 40's. Cold enough to chill you pretty good as you sit there trying not to move or make noise. Around 3:30 I heard some rustling coming from behind and to the right, not my on side as I'm right-handed. I'd been hearing squirrels over there for over an hour now and figured it was squirrels til I heard the regular thump, thump, thump that is unmistakeable once you hear it. Turned real slow and saw a nice doe with a fawn. Thought about getting stood up so I could take a shot and was just about ready to when I saw this guy coming up behind them. Real slow I stood up and got ready. Double checked my arrow was nocked and stood there. And stood there. And stood there.

Finally the doe and fawn decide to come over to me. They stood there in my food plot for about 15 minutes while the buck stood back behind a cedar about 40 yards out. I really had to think about just taking the doe but decided against it. (For you anti-hunters, the fawn would have been fine without her and I was actually quite surprised to see the fawn still with her this time of year, the does kick them away (literally) before the rut starts usually.) Finally the doe and fawn start to move on past, and sure enough the buck was still interested. He followed them right through the food plot and right into a shooting lane. I drew and lined up and let it go. It was one of the first times I could actually see where the arrow hit. (I attribute that to some new arrow wraps I got this year. If you haven't seen em, look for em. They basically wrap around the end of the arrow and you get your fletchings put on top of them. Give the arrow a lot more visibility in flight, much easier to see if your arrow is whipping when target shooting or in this case, much easier to see it hit.) Anyway, after it hit he took off. I watched him go into the trees across the little field my food plot is in and noted the location. I sat there in my stand for about 15 minutes, shaking and texting my bro-in-law that I got one. About the time I was getting down, he was coming in from his stand. Went out to the field and found my arrow, covered in blood. Two good signs here, one, a clean pass through, that usually helps with the trail, two, lots of blood. Not 10 feet from where I hit him the trail started. Good big drops with bubbles. Another good sign, bubbles means lung shot. Got to the edge of the woods and saw him instantly, he only made it about 20 yards in before dropping. About 60 yards total from where he was shot. So, only got one more tag left unless I go buy some bonus tags, but those will be does only. Season ends Jan 15th.

Professur

So ... who's hunting this year?

I just got in a freebie from American Broadhead Company: a 7/8" Sonic broadhead. Just need to get myself a block to try it out. The club I'm with just replaced the phentex in their butts and they're not big on us firing broadheads into them.

Altron

I live in Jersey. I need to drive 20 miles to find a wild animal larger than a squirrel.