Cooking...A lost art?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
In this Shake'n'Bake, Microwaveable world, I was wondering how many of you actually know how to cook...I'm talking "from scratch" and not just eggs and bacon. I've been cooking since forever. I candied my first ham at 10 and can even make fudge....It really is amazing how many people wouldn't know what to do with a pot roast...Where do you fall in all of this?

BlurOfSerenity

i never unserstood "from scratch".
does that mean no canned items, no soups or artificial flavorings? everythign real and natural? i dont understand.

i do enjoy cooking, when i do it.
i like to make tacos. im a pro at browning ground beef.
i also once made this really kickass turkey tetrazini, that was a lot of fun, and the most complex, involved thing i've made yet.
i'm just 16, and i only got over my fear of ovens and stoves (cos them's hot!) just two or 3 years ago, so i'm pretty much starting out.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Hmmm...good point ash r..."from scratch" I guess would mean starting with raw (unprepared) food as the main ingredients. I understand using premixxed seasonings,etc...but can you cook a beef roast. or bake homemade bread, or a pizza (including the dough). Can you make a spaghetti sauce from a bunch of fresh tomatoes and seasoning...Things like that...

Ardsgaine

Aarrgh!! Double post... could a sweet and gentle mod please delete that first one for me?

And here's a pic of the butterbeans I'm cooking to go with it. That red thing in the middle is the bone from Jan's birthday ham. :)

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Squiggy said:
In this Shake'n'Bake, Microwaveable world, I was wondering how many of you actually know how to cook...I'm talking "from scratch" and not just eggs and bacon. I've been cooking since forever. I candied my first ham at 10 and can even make fudge....It really is amazing how many people wouldn't know what to do with a pot roast...Where do you fall in all of this?

i've been working in a kitchen for 3 yrs now, as a weekend job... i learned a lot over there. learned me appreciate cooking as well, at least the more 'special' stuff.
i hate making ordinary, standard meals, but making special meals is always a pleasure :)

i too like to make from scratch. nothing more worse than pre-fab food.
even though i eat that most of the time, due a lack of time. no matter how you like things, i'm still a student :D so i have an excuse :D

plus cooking for just yourself is horrible.

greenfreak

I know nothing about cooking.

I know enough about baking to take a recipe and make it correctly, adding a little changes here and there. But in this house, Rusty is the cook. God love him. :)

Professur

Steak and an open fire are about my limits. Rub salt and pepper into the steak, then beat it on a rock until you can't see either anymore. Chuck it onto the coals. Then run around looking for a stick to pull it back out with. By the time you find it, it should be ready to turn. Turn it already. Since the stick will usually catch fire, now would be a good time to go get another one. Since the second side will cook quicker, it's a good thing that you've already looked around and know where to get the second stick.
Haul that summabitch outta there and onto a plate. Crack open a brewski and thump your chest coz you're a certified caveman.

dan

i want to learn how to cook better.

i quite like doing it, but have problems during term time coz there's only one saucepan and a couple of really cheap and nasty knives in the kitchen i've got... funding a decent kitchen is no mean feat!

greenfreak

We burned my mother's 5 quart Farberware pot and then threw it away while they were on vacation and we couldn't understand why she was so upset about it. Now I do. :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy said:
I was wondering how many of you actually know how to cook

*Proudly raises hand* it's better than eating out & a whole lot cheaper. Of course, my specialty is light fire, wait for ash to turn grey, kill, gut & skin dinner while waiting & throwing that sucker on the pit...cook 'til done mooing & chow