Cooking...A lost art?

Q

I love to cook. Tonight was roast beef, mashed potatoes and carrots.yummmmmm

unclehobart

I cook everything from scratch as a matter of sheer survival. I remember being able to do full dishes from the age of 6. My dad made me cook dinner for some of his business partners a few times at that age. I remember making lots of veal based dishes for them. They were also impressed with my grasp of dirty jokes.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I was cooking a lot at that age too...and it was for survival...I didn't know about the term dysfunctional family yet, but we had to be the poster children...:D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I love to cook, but don't have the time to do much good cooking except on weekends, then it's usually a roast, fried chicken, or something else suitable for feeding a football team. Sometimes, when it's just the wife and I, I go more to the gourmet side, Chicken Parmesan, Filet Mignon, but the kids just don't appreciate that stuff.

unclehobart

My skills were derived from being fairly parentless up to the age of 9. Dad was winding out his military service, working full time with 2 weeks in country, weeks out, finishing masters #2 on the military dole at Harvard. Mom was working full time and getting her doctorate. They were gone when I woke up in the morning and 80% of the time they weren't home by the time I went to bed. Can you say 'latchkey kid'?

PT

They gave you a key?!?!?!?!?

Now I'm jealous. I didn't even get a fucking key.

unclehobart

I had to get in and get out somehow :). .. and look after my helpless older brother. We gave up on babysitters after 6 months because half were arrested for selling drugs out of the house or having orgies/drug parties ... stealing moms clothes... that kind of stuff.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
My dad worked nights cause he didn't like being around us. If he was home when I got up he was already passed out drunk...Mom was either still asleep or already working on her drunken stupor for the day....We didn't have a latch that worked.

PT

I just didn't have a door that locked either. Dad was gone by the time I was 3. Mom worked two jobs most of my childhood, so I started cooking to feed my older brothers, who would pay me to cook. :thumbup:

unclehobart

*stands* Gentlemen .. A TOAST! ... A toast to twisted effing families forcing us to become chefs at a brutally young age. Necessity breeds invention is not dead with us this day.

HomeLAN

I can, but most meals are a mix of fresh and sorta prefab, because I simply don't have the time most nights.

I was taught as a kid, but only because my folks thought it just might be something I'd need to know later.