Could the South rise again

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
1. Yes.

There are more and more people in these parts in favor of what the Confederate States really stood for. As people start to learn about the era, they increasingly resent the events of the 1840s-1864. Most of these events still impact the region. For example, the reason Mississippi remains among the poorest states in America is that it sold its virgin timber to the US government to pay its share of the national debt before seceding. The government gladly accepted, let the New England timber merchants have their field day...then disallowed the Mississippi congressmen to vote on the 14th Amendment, instead entering votes in favor on their behalf. God bless America, and let's keep Mississippi impoverished. Don't believe me? Read the Congressional Record. I hear of secession revivalist talks from time to time.

2. No.

Too many of us are still brainwashed into thinking our ancestors were wrong. Many more are too dependant on government services. Many many more are just too scared to either try, or to be identified publicly with those who organize the discussions. I never thought I would live to see the day that the proud Southern people would bow down like they have, but it's here. It just isn't feasible in most people's minds. Resentment is as far as they will go with it.

3. It's already happening.

Better watch us...we're learning to play the game the way it was played on us. As our children become more and more educated and the line between Southerner and __________ gets blurred, we're learning your tricks. We're using them too. Knowledge is power. Thanks to this little box on the desk, no longer is my little Appalachian community isolated from the rest of you. I can now gain the same resources you can. And I might have an axe to grind. Put me in a position of business decision making, and who do you think gets the jobs, or the contract, or the tax break? Where do you think the new plant will be built? Think we ain't noticed where the red states and the blue states were? Think we aren't aware of who the president would be if we changed our minds?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Let's see.

If they pull they're collective heads out, and change the union from within instead of trying to dump the whole program, I'd say yes. They've also got to take the steps to eliminate the idiots that usurped their symbols.