Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:retard:
Ah, that morning cup of coffee and its jolt of caffeine. It's either the best thing you can do for yourself - or the worst. Scientists still aren't sure. One group at Rutgers University believes the former. Researchers tested lab mice under two separate conditions. In the first, unprotected hairless rodents were exposed to excessive ultraviolet radiation, increasing their risk of skin cancer. Some were then rubbed with a lotion containing caffeine or other components found in green tea, and the exposure repeated.

The result? The caffeine treated mice developed 50-70% fewer tumours than their untreated counterparts, while those rubbed with the tea's substance (called EGCG) had between 55-65% fewer cancers. The scientists theorize caffeine may somehow be blocking an enzyme that allows cancer cells to grow.

But in a separate study at another facility, researchers found the opposite effect. They exposed hamster cells to low doses of radiation, causing mutations and increasing the risk of cancer development. The untreated cells attempted to repair themselves, but when the team added caffeine, that 'repair' mechanism didn't work as well. The technicians in that experiment admit they're at a loss to explain why - but they're working on it.
source
I still love my coffee :gmorning:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
but then again I love my Woody's too, and I guess that's worse :lol:

Attachment(s):

pic_6704.jpg, 88.00kb

7_1030492771.jpg

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
[giggle]I definitely love woody[/giggle] :lol:

here's a better little pic of Woody's (blueberry rules! :headbang: )

Attachment(s):

ice.jpg, 3.64kb

7_1030494746.jpg

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:( you are so missing out. mmmmmmmmmmm I can drink this stuff like juice. And look at that, I am!! :D