Didn't we used to reserve this treatment for criminals?

Professur

India is launching a new census in which every person aged over 15 will be photographed and fingerprinted to create a biometric national database.

The government will then use the information to issue identity cards.

Officials will spend a year classifying India's population of around 1.2 billion people according to gender, religion, occupation and education.

Source

The single largest 'democratic' population, a fifth of the world's people ...

Still think you're free? Still think you've got a chance?

valkyrie

I would be curious to see if this flies well with the Indians. Although, there are cultural differences between Indians and Americans and it's more likely they'll put up with it and we will not.

What do they do when someone has lost both hands and has no fingers to print?

valkyrie

I read some of the comments. It appears that the reaction from India is mixed. There are some who applaud the use of technology, some who are looking for the government for security and some who have concerns over the measure for personal freedom.

On a side note, I work with an Indian who believes that it is only a matter of time before China moves to annex India.

Gotholic

I'm not sure why a Democratic administration would be interesting in a failed Republican bill...
The Real ID Act 2005, authored by Representative James Sensenbrenner (R) of Wisconsin

It is all just a puppet show.

I love how this was a rider on the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief, 2005.
Defense appropriations AND tsunami relief AND a national ID program all rolled into one bill. Gee... I hate politicians.

The Patriot Act was renewed in a like manner under the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act.