Dirt Cheap or Free

HomeLAN

Pray you never have to RMA anything there. I'm going through it right now. Unless they get it corrected, I'll be positn this nightmare for you all to see in a couple days.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've got a Koss one. Approx. 150 songs per cd (depends on compression and song length). I don't know about Genica, but the only complaint I have with mine is that the headphones were shit.

Inkara1

Inkara1 said:
They've got some good deals there. I decided just for the hell of it to see if I could build a working system for under $150. So I got that board, a cheap mouse, cheap keyboard, $3 "snowman" speakers, a case, 256MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive for $109.17 including shipping and sales tax. I've got a spare DVD drive sitting around, and a 300W PSU. All I need is a CPU and HSF, which I think I can find for less than $40, and a monitor and I'll be up and running. I don't know where I'll plug in the second system or what I'll use it for, but still, it'll be fun to build a system for $150.
Well, it all got here today except for the motherboard, which was of course the part that drew me to the site in the first place. The board's listed on the invoice and there's no mention of a separate shipment (2 boxes were by my door, one labeled "1 of 2" and the other "2 of 2" so no one jacked part of my shipment), so I'll be calling them in the mañana it would appear.

Inkara1

Inkara1 said:
Well, it all got here today except for the motherboard, which was of course the part that drew me to the site in the first place. The board's listed on the invoice and there's no mention of a separate shipment (2 boxes were by my door, one labeled "1 of 2" and the other "2 of 2" so no one jacked part of my shipment), so I'll be calling them in the mañana it would appear.
I called on Friday, and the motherboard was waiting for me when I got home from work today. I've seen a few less-than-stellar reviews online about this place, but my experience with them went pretty well. Would have been better if they'd sent the motherboard at the right time, but a good measure of a retail outlet is how they deal with it when something gets messed up.

HomeLAN

Proceed with caution at surpluscomputers (Prof's link in post 41). They finally did get me my RMA replacement, but it took a month and a lot of bitching. Use at your own risk.

HomeLAN

Yeah, I may have to go for that myself. The wife's been bitching about the noise levels on my machine, and I told her I could eliminate 3 fans if I switched from SCSI to IDE and lost the HD cooler tray. She didn't roll her eyes, which with my wife and computers means that she might go for it.

Inkara1

If he's not going to do a RAID, then I'd suggest a Raptor because he'd only be buying one.

HomeLAN

In honor of national doughnut day, walk into a Krispy Kreme store today and they'll give you a free doughnut.

Enjoy. Can't you feel the arteries hardening?

Professur

Don't they always give you free doughnuts while you're waiting in line? Never been there myself. Still prefer Timmy's.

HomeLAN

No, they usually don't. And how do you know you prefer Timmy's if you've never even been to KKD? :alienhuh:

Professur

KKD's are sold at Walmarts and gas stations all over up here. Mum picks up a dozen from time to time.