Don't laugh please

FluerVanderloo

I got a Dell DJ (I think that's what they call it). Only thing by Dell that I like. Had it since last Christmas and it's still kicking. At the time it was 5GB for $200, but now they have 20GB for the same price. No complaints from it yet.

I'm so glad I didn't conform and get an overpriced iPod.

chcr

Too cute for words
SnP, I use one of the CD players like Luis mentioned. I can listen to CDs and mp3 CDs as well (I generally get 100 or so songs per cd in mp3 format). Mine's a cheap one (anyone shocked by that?) but I have some pretty good headphones and it sounds okay.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
About the MP3 CD players...I can tell you with a fairly high level of certainty that the chances of a 12 y/o being happy with one of those is slim to none. The technology is old...CD players are big and chunky...they're not convenient, they don't fit in the pockets of most coats, you need to carry/change CDs...I would never go back to a CD player of any kind. I have a mini disc player right now and I'm ready to upgrade cause of the low number of songs it holds...why buy something with technology that is over 5 years old (I know my ex from highschool got one just as we started dating and that was over 5 years ago) when there is something so much more convenient available at a comparable price??

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
But she loved the CD Walkman...

She ain't too fussy. (Yet...) Besides, bulky might equal less chance of leaving it laying somewhere.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
But she loved the CD Walkman...

She ain't too fussy. (Yet...) Besides, bulky might equal less chance of leaving it laying somewhere.

Noone knows your child but you.

Another note though, many of the small rectangualr shaped MP3 players have a string so you can wear it around your neck...I know the IPod shuffle does...and many others with the same size/shape.

MrBishop

Skip the iPod unless you can afford it. There are plenty of decent MP3 players out there which don't hold as many song but are a hell of alot lighter on the pocketbook. If she's like the typical kid, she'll be rotating songs very often. If you get one that holds 40-60 songs, that's more than enough.

I have one that holds about that much...uses AA batteries. I bought rechargeables (4 pack). Hell of a lot cheaper than the $60-80, ya know.

AllEars'

MrBishop said:
Skip the iPod unless you can afford it. There are plenty of decent MP3 players out there which don't hold as many song but are a hell of alot lighter on the pocketbook. If she's like the typical kid, she'll be rotating songs very often. If you get one that holds 40-60 songs, that's more than enough.

I have one that holds about that much...uses AA batteries. I bought rechargeables (4 pack). Hell of a lot cheaper than the $60-80, ya know.

So,which one do you have?

I refuse to spend a whole lot on one of these right now, since the walkman that we spent $80 on got stolen. She was pretty upset about it, but not enough to learn to keep up with her things.

MrBishop

AllEars' said:
So,which one do you have?
55-102-170-03.JPG

This one...but the 64MB version.
MuVo
Voice recoding, FM radio (decent reception), cost us $110CAN when I got it...it's about $50 now :(
I also use it as a flash-memstick. The black part disconnects and had a USB plug. Works with everything... small, but powerful :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You know what though...I wouldn't suggest you cheap out just cause she's a kid cause kids can surprise you if they really like something they own...my mom and I were shopping for a digicam for my bro one year for Christmas...the year before I had gotten my then $500 digicam (top of the line Powershot A series at the time) but my mom didn't wanna go over $200 on my bro's cause she was scared he'd lose it/break it...so we went with an HP which had specs along the same lines as mine since it was a cheaper brand name and a year later...I'll be damned if he doesn't still have that camera in near perfect shape. It has travelled across the ocean with him (without me and my mom ) twice and been all over Ontario and he's still got it...the HP is bad on batteries so, looking back we shoulda got him a nice canon too...but I guess this gives him an excuse to get a new one in a few years :D

So, I guess what I'm saying is don't go over your budget but don't get her something itty bitty JUST cause she's a kid...you know her listening habits, you know her music preferences...if she likes to change songs alot then something you should look into and research is how easy it is to get songs on and off it...that's one thing with my MD player I hate...it's so cumbersome...that's one thing I'm looking into before buying the sony mp3 player...

Mirlyn

Nixy said:
About the MP3 CD players...I can tell you with a fairly high level of certainty that the chances of a 12 y/o being happy with one of those is slim to none. The technology is old...CD players are big and chunky...they're not convenient, they don't fit in the pockets of most coats, you need to carry/change CDs...I would never go back to a CD player of any kind. I have a mini disc player right now and I'm ready to upgrade cause of the low number of songs it holds...why buy something with technology that is over 5 years old (I know my ex from highschool got one just as we started dating and that was over 5 years ago) when there is something so much more convenient available at a comparable price??
Actually, I beg to differ. I had a TDK CD-based MP3 player that was awesome. Still works too. One of very few that supported ID3 tags (with a three line display) back in the day (three years ago). I was extremely pleased when I then upgraded my car stereo to a Kenwood that also read MP3 discs.

When I drove to meet Cam in Indiana, my 700mb CDRW of MP3s didn't start repeating songs until I was in St Louis on my way back (thats almost 19 hours of playing in the car). The disc is full enough to last over a month of normal day-to-day driving without getting old or repeating.

I now have a Creative Zen Xtra 40GB. Used it extensively on campus, and now occasionally here in the office. I like. :D

Inkara1

So do you, HL. Why would you even need CDs when you've got 64 commercial-free music channels?

But that reminds me... ever been to California? :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Got an e-mail that included this one. It starts at 256MB, is expandable and comes with desktop speakers (admittedly not an unmixed blessing).

HomeLAN

Inkara1 said:
So do you, HL. Why would you even need CDs when you've got 64 commercial-free music channels?

But that reminds me... ever been to California? :D

Sometimes you just want to hear your favorite stuff - exclusively. More options is always better.

And yes, yes I have. From birth until 1 year of age, and again for 3 months when I was 8.