Drug War in Mexico

ResearchMonkey

If illegals paid into the system, if illegals didn't undercut the Americans because they work illegally for cash.

well... i'm sure this means nothing to you.

catocom

If there are so many people around willing to do the crap jobs that the 'illegals' do for the money the 'illegals' are willing to work for, then there wouldn't be any illegals around hustling for the work and maybe your unemployment rate wouldn't be so damned high.

Plenty of crops needs picking, roofing, tiling work etc.. to go around.

Plenty of hillbilly roofers, farmers, and...the crops are picked by machine.

As I stated in another thread...
I used to work on the loading docks in a chicken plant from 17-35 years of age ... in 2 separate instances.
The main reason I never did again after that last time is because they wouldn't
hire me anymore.
They changed the loading system and hired Mexicans.
They closed that plant a year later.
All the other plants are 5-1 hispanic, and the people working there in the
non-hispanic positions are long-timers.

Those jobs used to be done by mostly, or all citizen labor, until the gov. decided to step in and subsidize.

People keep using the line "jobs Americans won't do" like if they say it enough,
it'll be true.
It won't.
If people get hungry, they'll do things even they didn't think they'd do.
I've seen it.

valkyrie

It is only logical to put up a fence that will work in keeping them out versus a wait and see approach.
You miss understood me. Put the other 2 plans in place first. Then if the fence is needed, spend the money and do that as well. After these 2 plans are implemented I think you'll find that the fence will not be the deterrent to workers as much as it is to the gun and drug smugglers.

valkyrie

Plenty of hillbilly roofers, farmers, and...the crops are picked by machine.
Not all crops can be picked by machine. Many require labor in the fields.

As I stated in another thread...
I used to work on the loading docks in a chicken plant from 17-35 years of age ... in 2 separate instances.
The main reason I never did again after that last time is because they wouldn't
hire me anymore.
They changed the loading system and hired Mexicans.
They closed that plant a year later.
All the other plants are 5-1 hispanic, and the people working there in the
non-hispanic positions are long-timers.

Those jobs used to be done by mostly, or all citizen labor, until the gov. decided to step in and subsidize.

People keep using the line "jobs Americans won't do" like if they say it enough,
it'll be true.
It won't.
If people get hungry, they'll do things even they didn't think they'd do.
I've seen it.
How did they hire Mexicans over Americans legally? The only way to hire on a visa is if they can't fill the jobs with Americans.

catocom

Not all crops can be picked by machine. Many require labor in the fields.

How did they hire Mexicans over Americans legally? The only way to hire on a visa is if they can't fill the jobs with Americans.

do you know what crop Have to be had picked , right out?

Well, I don't know what all the restrictions are now....this was back in the late 80's.
I think it was after the Reagan amnesty deal.
Now I don't know...I just know there's a lot of um, and it's hard to get a job there in those plants.

valkyrie

do you know what crop Have to be had picked , right out?

Well, I don't know what all the restrictions are now....this was back in the late 80's.
I think it was after the Reagan amnesty deal.
Now I don't know...I just know there's a lot of um, and it's hard to get a job there in those plants.
Hand picked crops just off the top of my head: citrus and peaches. (I used to live in Florida.)

valkyrie

there are farms here that use machinery to pick peaches.
I remember talking to a man in Palm Beach that said he used machine to pick.

Just because some don't use them, doesn't mean they don't exists.

these would work on both those.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/06/robo_picker
That picker is in R&D phase.

Peaches and other fruit for the table must be picked by hand to prevent bruising. Fruit that will be used in products like jams can be picked by machinery. Try picking blackberries by machine. You'll get a mushy mess.

I read a book called Coyote that changed my mind about the illegal migrant farm workers, meaning the good and the bad.

Interesting how this discussion left the original intent to discuss the drug wars in Mexico and slipped into a discussion about illegal immigration.

catocom

That picker is in R&D phase.

that one is, but they have them in operation, but they Are way expensive on the initial investment.
It's all about the money (the up front money in this case)

I'll see in I can find a link to a prodution model.
That was just the first site I got on google.

valkyrie

that one is, but they have them in operation, but they Are way expensive on the initial investment.
It's all about the money (the up front money in this case)

I'll see in I can find a link to a prodution model.
That was just the first site I got on google.
That would be cool. I couldn't find any either.

Money is a big issue with farmers. Buying new, expensive equipment can put your ass on the auction block. It's important to stay lean and mean in the farming game. Very important to watch every penny. People don't realize what farmers go through every year to put food on the table for America and also feed their own families. Electricity isn't free, neither is the diesel that goes into the farm machinery. Seed, fertilizer and insecticide (if you're not organic) aren't free either, and your labor is going to factor into your final costs as well.

Peppers are another farm product that must be picked by hand.